Closed Cell effect

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2000
      One of the behavior that I observed exclusively to closed cell foils
      (therefore the name closed cell effect) and that could be the cause of
      this drift back.

      In both regular foils and closed cell foils, it's the internal pressure
      of the air that keep the foils in shape. Since there are many many
      opening in regular foils, the internal pressure is almost instantly
      changed when the external pressure changes; therefore the kite shape is
      relatively constant.

      In the case of closed cell since there are little connection between the
      pressure inside and outside, each time the external pressure changes
      suddenly due to sudden gust or wind direction changes, the kite could
      get slightly out of shape enough to decrease its L/D and drift back.

      I've never been able to see the change in the kite shape (too subtle,
      too far, also I am a bit near sighted), but I can definitely see the
      drifting back and feel the effect with my handles (the kite is not as
      fast and responsive as it normally would).

      This effect happens more in gusty powered up conditions.

      Hung.