Re: Best upwind kite style, was Re: [ksurfschool] opinions? F-one prefere

  • kiteboard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2000
      The F-One rep for California told me that not only are faster kites better
      because they move forward more quickly in the gusts, thereby reducing the
      duration of the overpowering pull, but that the new Slider is even FASTER
      than their other kites!!

      Mel

      fishersfort@... (Dwight & Jacky) wrote:

      << I think I was just trying to point out the fast kites are not magic. They
      didn't perform like I thought they would. I bought EXS kites and flew them
      for 6 months. I then switched to AR5 kites, and immediately noticed my
      reduced board speed with these slower flying kites, made them less prone to
      drifting back.

      I then meet the F-one regional rep and was told he and his sponsored buddy
      fly the STW, not the ATW (fast model). They felt the (low aspect, slower)
      STW had more range and just worked better for kitesurfing Hmmmm.

      I wonder if the Stamos will become the favorite of Windtools team riders
      too. Hmmmmmmm. Again Kingsley is raving about the upwind ability of the low
      aspect kite (better than the mosquito?).

      I was a hang glider pilot, so I'm not an airfoil idiot and I would have been
      the last one to even consider that a low aspect self limiting slower kite,
      might have some superiority over a high aspect fast kite for kitesurfing.
      But it's something worth thinking about. There may be a lot more to this,
      but these were the reasons that someone on the group used to explain why
      this happens. It makes some sense and the slower kites are doing better in
      the kitesurfing arena. All these kite companies make racy buggy foils and
      they just don't work like you would think for kitesurfing. Look at F-ones
      new bandana shaped foil. That has to be a high drag, dog slow foil, compared
      to the STW or ATW, yet it has monster range and upwind ability. What's going
      on here? >>