Ft. Lauderdale, Florida - Anyone knows of a good beach for beginners?

  • LuisFernando
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2007
      Hi, I'm new at kitesurfing and for the past 2 months I've been trying
      to catch a good day to fly my "big" kite for the first time, but every
      time I go to the beach (Pompano Beach), which is only on the weekends,
      it's either too crouded with beach goers or too many kite surfers.
      I've practiced with a trainer kite a few times already, but I want to
      find a good beach with a large open area were I can fly my big kite
      and do a couple of body draggs. I don't want to cause any trouble or
      harm to anybody, so if any one knows of a good place where I can do
      this please let me know.
      Thank You

      Luis F.
    • flkitesurfer
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2007
        Luis,

        Have you had quality pro lessons yet? It costs but there can be a great
        deal more to traction kiting than being proficient in flying a trainer kite.
        Not all instruction is equal either unfortunately, you need to make good
        selections in that area as well.

        Some additional good reasons appear in video and print at:
        http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2436

        Our area is simply too crowded and our accumulated knowledge of avoidable
        accidents too great, to readily permit self-instruction in heavily populated SE
        Florida. Sadly, the designated launch at Ft. Lauderdale requires the ability
        to stay upwind and away from out of bounds guarded beach areas to the north
        and south. There are a lot of ideas in regard to getting into the sport
        along with launch, weather, precaution info at:

        http://fksa.org/

        FKA, Inc.

        Transcribed by:
        Rick Iossi