Bow .vs. SLE

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 23, 2006
      I have been using and playing with a number of bow (or almost bow) and
      SLE kites in the past year.

      What I have found is that SLE is better in term of stability (remember
      the flatter is less stable formula with Seasmik) and jumping performance
      (the Sled Boosting effect). On the other hand, the bow is probably
      better in term of speed performance (less fabric, lighter kite for same
      construction)

      So at one end you have SLE like Waroo, the other end, you have bow like
      the Crossbow, and a bit compromised Waroo-Pro (this is between SLE and
      mid-SLE), SwitchBlade, One, etc.

      The flatter the kite, the more concave the trailing edge need to be
      (probably only a true bow kite need to have concave trailing edge) or
      use a trailing edge bridle like the Seasmik.

      It is very interesting to observe that the flat kite revolution that
      started with the Seasmik, the Nexus (a bit too foil oriented), this
      experiment: http://www.template-toolkit.org/tpc5/kitesurfing/index.html
      (has both curve LE and bow trailing edge) , the Flexifoil curve leading
      edge (probably taken from the previous experiment), the bow patent
      application from Bruno and ended with the SLE.

      Personally, the main reason why I want a SLE/bow kite is for this reason
      http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/message/67005 (and the
      market in 2006 has probably showed the preference).

      Hung.
    • George Sarris
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 23, 2006
        I believe that kite designers can improve on their
        designs in one other way. That being the drag
        produced by turbulence around the leading edge
        bladder. They have improved in making the LE bladders
        smaller in diameter and this has required increased
        pressure for the kite to hold its shape. However, I
        wonder if there have been any experiments with adding
        another "skin" to smooth out the bottom of the kite
        reducing the turbulence and the drag making it more
        like an airfoil.
        Just curious.

        Cheers,
        George

        --- hungvu2000@... wrote:

        > I have been using and playing with a number of bow
        > (or almost bow) and
        > SLE kites in the past year.
        >
        > What I have found is that SLE is better in term of
        > stability (remember
        > the flatter is less stable formula with Seasmik) and
        > jumping performance
        > (the Sled Boosting effect). On the other hand, the
        > bow is probably
        > better in term of speed performance (less fabric,
        > lighter kite for same
        > construction)
        >
        > So at one end you have SLE like Waroo, the other
        > end, you have bow like
        > the Crossbow, and a bit compromised Waroo-Pro (this
        > is between SLE and
        > mid-SLE), SwitchBlade, One, etc.
        >
        > The flatter the kite, the more concave the trailing
        > edge need to be
        > (probably only a true bow kite need to have concave
        > trailing edge) or
        > use a trailing edge bridle like the Seasmik.
        >
        > It is very interesting to observe that the flat kite
        > revolution that
        > started with the Seasmik, the Nexus (a bit too foil
        > oriented), this
        > experiment:

        http://www.template-toolkit.org/tpc5/kitesurfing/index.html

        > (has both curve LE and bow trailing edge) , the
        > Flexifoil curve leading
        > edge (probably taken from the previous experiment),
        > the bow patent
        > application from Bruno and ended with the SLE.
        >
        > Personally, the main reason why I want a SLE/bow
        > kite is for this reason

        > (and the
        > market in 2006 has probably showed the preference).

        Cheap talk?
        http://voice.yahoo.com
      • hungvu2000@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 23, 2006
          Don, Bruno and some others have made some experiment about "double skin"
          inflatable in the past. It's never gotten to the market stage
          successfully..

          Hung.

        • Chris Glazier
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 23, 2006
            Faction kites produced a kite with a second skin on the underside near
            the leading edge. I never flew one but I understand that it was not a
            tremendous improvement. The company is now defunct. I do recall
            launching one and having a tough time holding the kite since I
            couldn't get my hand around the leading edge.

            Incidentally an airplane wing works when air pressure pulls the upper
            surface upward from above, not pushes from below. It is more critical
            that smooth laminar airflow occur above the wing than below.

            Chris Glazier

            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris <jakefarley2000@...>