[ksurfschool] INFO PLEASE

  • EZIK123@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2000
      I am a novice kitesurfer in need of some information on equipment. I am
      looking to buy myself a kite. I need to know what brand of kite is good for
      beginners but one that I will not grow out of too quickly. A kite that a more
      advanced surfer would enjoy. I have been flying stunt kites for many years
      and I surf, wakeboard, waterski, sail, and snowboard so I have the basics
      down. What size kite and what brand would you recommend. Any information
      would be helpful.

      Thank you,

      Ezra K.
    • Martyn_Gilson-1@sbphrd.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2000
        Hi Ezra,
        I asked the same question not so long ago and the answer is not an easy one.

        After some advice and several kite flying episodes on the beach, not in the
        water, I purchased a kite.

        It depends on many things, mainly wind speed and your weight. The heavier you
        are the more sail you need and the more wind the less you need, similar to
        windsurfing.

        From your experience of power kiting you should know about the different shapes
        and the manoeuvrability and power that they deliver. So it the only advice I
        can say (in my inexperience) is that do you want a relaunchable kite, obvious
        advantages but if you can already fly a kite well, you will rarely ditch it in
        the drink.

        It is also a matter of preference. I bought a Naish 7m2 (similar to a Wipika)
        and it is nice for what I need; relaunchable, good power for my weight (85Kgs)
        in less than 20knots of wind. Others thing that relaunchables are crap because
        they lack power. And others learn on a non-relaunchable kite.

        It is a matter of preference and price! I forgot price, these things ain't
        cheap.
        Martyn

        EZIK123@... on 03-Feb-2000 14:54

        Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

        To: ksurfschool
        cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)
        Subject: [ksurfschool] INFO PLEASE

        I am a novice kitesurfer in need of some information on equipment. I am
        looking to buy myself a kite. I need to know what brand of kite is good for
        beginners but one that I will not grow out of too quickly. A kite that a more
        advanced surfer would enjoy. I have been flying stunt kites for many years
        and I surf, wakeboard, waterski, sail, and snowboard so I have the basics
        down. What size kite and what brand would you recommend. Any information
        would be helpful.

        Thank you,

        Ezra K.

        Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as
        0.0% Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no
        hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit
        you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
        http://click.egroups.com/1/966/5/_/60094/_/949589754/

        -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ksurfschool/?m=1
      • Colin Gowland
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2000
          Ezra,

          What winds will you be mostly sailing in and what is your weight?

          Kind Regards,
          Colin

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2000
            Colin
            I will mostly be sailing in 10-20 MPH winds. I weight 180 lb. What have you
            hear about the STW FOne kite.
            Thanks
            Ezra
          • Martyn_Gilson-1@sbphrd.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2000
              My brother has a 6.5m2 FOne kite but not the newer STW.

              It is powerful (he is a 'fatty' at 105Kg, I think that is about 210lbs) and he
              was recommended to get the FOne because of it's power. As long as you don't
              require the relaunchability and you shouldn't as you know how to fly kites and
              keep them in the air then a foil like an FOne is a very good sail.

              They are quite expensive but of very good quality. They are fast in the air and
              do not require to be inflated.

              I looked at that kite but got a good deal on a Naish and basically it comes down
              to how much you are willing to pay.

              It is also important to remember that it is mainly down to skill and technique
              rather than having a super kite but there are not many second hand ones around!

              Martyn

              EZIK123@... on 03-Feb-2000 22:09

              Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

              To: ksurfschool
              cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)
              Subject: [ksurfschool] Re: INFO PLEASE

              Colin
              I will mostly be sailing in 10-20 MPH winds. I weight 180 lb. What have you
              hear about the STW FOne kite.
              Thanks
              Ezra

              Want To Be Showered With Kisses?