Chicken loop danger?

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2006
      I the past, with C kites, the chicken loop were dangerous as it is often
      very difficult to get out of the chicken loop when under extreme load.

      So the manufacturers have made it over the years easy to get out of the
      chicken loop (when under heavy loaded or not)

      With the new generation of flat kite, the chicken loop is now the safety
      leash (with a back up safety leash) and it is NO LONGER require to get
      out of the chicken loop when under load because as soon as one let go of
      the bar, the load is often light and one can leisurely get out of the
      chicken loop in light load (I did that yesterday while self landing my
      Waroo 9m in 30+ knots)..

      Personally, it happen to me at least twice that my chicken loop (from at
      least 2 different manufacturers) of my flat kites popped out when under
      extreme load and that make the situation dangerous (the kite powered up
      even more or become uncontrollable). In this situation, the kiter may
      not be in danger but the bystanders may be heavily hit by the kite or
      the kite could hit hard obstacle and get damaged.

      So is it now the time for the manufacturers to consider making the
      chicken loop more heavy duty and difficult to get out under heavy load?

      Hung.
    • George
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2006
        Hung,

        I believe that even for flat/SLE/hybrid
        kites, there is a need to have a way to get out of the

        C-loop, and release to a kite leash. I can see
        a scenario in real gusty conditions, when a flat
        kite starts falling back in the wind window due to
        a major lull, then suddenly a huge gust hits, and
        'Baaam!' Or in the case of a bridle or other kite
        failure where the kite goes into a death-loop and
        cannot be depowered. You need to release the power
        from the C-loop without losing the kite/injuring
        others.

        Being lead into this false sense of security with the
        new kites, can actually make them more dangerous than
        C-kites, in the event the 'sh&* hits the fan!"

        George.

        --- hungvu2000@... wrote:

        > I the past, with C kites, the chicken loop were
        > dangerous as it is often
        > very difficult to get out of the chicken loop when
        > under extreme load.
        >
        > So the manufacturers have made it over the years
        > easy to get out of the
        > chicken loop (when under heavy loaded or not)
        >
        > With the new generation of flat kite, the chicken
        > loop is now the safety
        > leash (with a back up safety leash) and it is NO
        > LONGER require to get
        > out of the chicken loop when under load because as
        > soon as one let go of
        > the bar, the load is often light and one can
        > leisurely get out of the
        > chicken loop in light load (I did that yesterday
        > while self landing my
        > Waroo 9m in 30+ knots)..
        >
        > Personally, it happen to me at least twice that my
        > chicken loop (from at
        > least 2 different manufacturers) of my flat kites
        > popped out when under
        > extreme load and that make the situation dangerous
        > (the kite powered up
        > even more or become uncontrollable). In this
        > situation, the kiter may
        > not be in danger but the bystanders may be heavily
        > hit by the kite or
        > the kite could hit hard obstacle and get damaged.
        >
        > So is it now the time for the manufacturers to
        > consider making the
        > chicken loop more heavy duty and difficult to get
        > out under heavy load?

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • amber k

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 26, 2006