Re: [ksurfschool] Flat kite accident?

  • DeniseSEWA@Aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2006
      In a message dated 7/12/2006 5:17:57 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
      hungvu2000@... writes:

      I have been using the Waroo extensively for the whole winter, spring and
      almost half of the summer now!

      P.S., The stopper ball on the chicken loop is great and make the kite
      behave similar to a classic when you are not holding the bar (for
      deadman trick or other reasons), but at the same time, it makes the kite
      only as safe as the classic unless the tension on the stopper ball is
      set to real low (then you cannot do the deadman trick anyway).
      Personally, I would set the stopper ball as far as possible on land and
      may move it in closer when in deep water. The other option is to always
      set it to as far as your arm can reach or not having the stopper ball at
      all especially if you want a safer flat kite.

      Hi, Check out the "punch through" stopper on the sonic, I made one of these
      for my Waroo 14, it has enough tension for tricks and unspinning the bar but
      can be pushed through with your bar to get full depower back.
      Also, I am having a difficult time water relaunching the 14 waroo in light
      winds, any advice or Vids out there, I have tried everything on Bests site and
      do eventually get it but often after a long time in the water and have not
      had to try it without my board yet.
      I have been self landing as you described in an earlier post and it works
      perfect, thanks for that one ;)
      Denise

    • David Alger
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2006
        Thanks for all the input on the flat kites!

        I'm a novice but had no trouble with a 5 Waroo in 35 knots at Real. I
        now have a 12 I used once with no problem. But it was a little under
        powered, so I moved the back lines up from the second knot to the
        third. Then I got pulled over the board a couple of times, finally
        losing control and having the bar ripped out of my hands. Somehow the
        donkey/loop unhooked, luckily, and I was wrist leashed to a depowered
        soaked kite. Any ideas? Just a bad control day on my part? (I did
        have one back line going around a front line, but it seems to fly OK.)

        I now must launch and stay hooked in so I can depower; I guess that's
        where the (missing) stopper ball comes in. So that seems more
        dangerous. As long as you stay upright and in control, I guess the
        depower works great, but in the fog of no control, I feel no safer.
        Any thoughts?
      • hungvu2000@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2006
          Denise,

          All flat kites 12m or under can be raise to a vertical C easily by
          pulling on one of the back line in ridable wind.

          For larger flat kites (e.g. Waroo 14m and larger), you can launch them
          the same way as a classic but don't have to swim much toward the kite.

          The other option is to push the bar out, pull around 1m or 2m of one of
          the back lines and swim/walk toward the other direction to help the kite
          to raise to a vertical C. We taught that method to the student and we
          can raise the 16m Waroo fairly confidently (haven't try to raise the 20m
          Waroo yet) in wind just enough to ride and learn. For other flat kites,
          you can probably do similarly.

          Hung.

        • hungvu2000@rogers.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2006
            For flat kites, you can launch hook in.

            All you need to do is to release the bar, the kite should stop pulling.
            If not then you don't have it rigged properly.

            All of our students can dive the Waroos across the power zone and just
            let go of the bar without much pulling (it's one of the thrills we
            practice in the water).

            Hung.