Flat kite accident?

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2006
      I have been using the Waroo extensively for the whole winter, spring and
      almost half of the summer now!

      Everytime I switch back to the classic, foil and other types of old
      kite, I notice how drastically safer the flat kites are.

      Looks like with the flat kites, accident will be drastically reduced
      (especially the lofting or dragging into hard object accidents).

      I would like to hear some statistics regarding the flat kite accident
      world wide (especially the lofting or dragging into hard object accidents).

      P.S., The stopper ball on the chicken loop is great and make the kite
      behave similar to a classic when you are not holding the bar (for
      deadman trick or other reasons), but at the same time, it makes the kite
      only as safe as the classic unless the tension on the stopper ball is
      set to real low (then you cannot do the deadman trick anyway).
      Personally, I would set the stopper ball as far as possible on land and
      may move it in closer when in deep water. The other option is to always
      set it to as far as your arm can reach or not having the stopper ball at
      all especially if you want a safer flat kite.

      P.P.S., The other benefit of the flat kite is the ease of board
      retrieval, you can literally swim back to your board and don't really
      have to body drag upwind. Board leash and board leash accident is
      definitely a thing of the past as you have more choices and can
      always get back to your board regardless the state of the wind (body
      drag upwind was difficult in way overpowered and way underpowered
      situations).

      Hung.
    • DeniseSEWA@Aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2006
        In a message dated 7/12/2006 5:17:57 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
        hungvu2000@... writes:

        I have been using the Waroo extensively for the whole winter, spring and
        almost half of the summer now!

        P.S., The stopper ball on the chicken loop is great and make the kite
        behave similar to a classic when you are not holding the bar (for
        deadman trick or other reasons), but at the same time, it makes the kite
        only as safe as the classic unless the tension on the stopper ball is
        set to real low (then you cannot do the deadman trick anyway).
        Personally, I would set the stopper ball as far as possible on land and
        may move it in closer when in deep water. The other option is to always
        set it to as far as your arm can reach or not having the stopper ball at
        all especially if you want a safer flat kite.

        Hi, Check out the "punch through" stopper on the sonic, I made one of these
        for my Waroo 14, it has enough tension for tricks and unspinning the bar but
        can be pushed through with your bar to get full depower back.
        Also, I am having a difficult time water relaunching the 14 waroo in light
        winds, any advice or Vids out there, I have tried everything on Bests site and
        do eventually get it but often after a long time in the water and have not
        had to try it without my board yet.
        I have been self landing as you described in an earlier post and it works
        perfect, thanks for that one ;)
        Denise

      • David Alger
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2006
          Thanks for all the input on the flat kites!

          I'm a novice but had no trouble with a 5 Waroo in 35 knots at Real. I
          now have a 12 I used once with no problem. But it was a little under
          powered, so I moved the back lines up from the second knot to the
          third. Then I got pulled over the board a couple of times, finally
          losing control and having the bar ripped out of my hands. Somehow the
          donkey/loop unhooked, luckily, and I was wrist leashed to a depowered
          soaked kite. Any ideas? Just a bad control day on my part? (I did
          have one back line going around a front line, but it seems to fly OK.)

          I now must launch and stay hooked in so I can depower; I guess that's
          where the (missing) stopper ball comes in. So that seems more
          dangerous. As long as you stay upright and in control, I guess the
          depower works great, but in the fog of no control, I feel no safer.
          Any thoughts?
        • hungvu2000@rogers.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2006
            Denise,

            All flat kites 12m or under can be raise to a vertical C easily by
            pulling on one of the back line in ridable wind.

            For larger flat kites (e.g. Waroo 14m and larger), you can launch them
            the same way as a classic but don't have to swim much toward the kite.

            The other option is to push the bar out, pull around 1m or 2m of one of
            the back lines and swim/walk toward the other direction to help the kite
            to raise to a vertical C. We taught that method to the student and we
            can raise the 16m Waroo fairly confidently (haven't try to raise the 20m
            Waroo yet) in wind just enough to ride and learn. For other flat kites,
            you can probably do similarly.

            Hung.

          • hungvu2000@rogers.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 12, 2006
              For flat kites, you can launch hook in.

              All you need to do is to release the bar, the kite should stop pulling.
              If not then you don't have it rigged properly.

              All of our students can dive the Waroos across the power zone and just
              let go of the bar without much pulling (it's one of the thrills we
              practice in the water).

              Hung.