Turbo Launcher methodology

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2006
      Turbo Launcher is pretty difficult to use; however, when everything is
      right it is a wonderful device for difficult sites.

      We have been using it for the school in the last month or so, I had only
      1 tangle in the second tries and have been using it successfully 100%
      since.

      You can use the TL in 2 modes: with the lines attached to the kite or
      without the lines attached to the kite (pre-load the Launcher). Since
      we have enough space to lay out our lines on the beach, we don't need to
      use the pre-loaded way all the times.

      I normally teach the students using the TL with the lines attached to
      the kites. Following are the steps:
      1- Sort out the lines and connect them to the kites
      2- Put all the "junks" near the bar into the TL. Let the chicken
      loop free and loose
      3- Clip the 2 side straps around the bar to secure it tightly to the
      TL. Let the chicken loop free and loose
      4- Start rolling all the lines around the bar. Make sure you use as
      much vertical space as possible and only roll the line from the back of
      the TL to the front.
      5- Leave just enough line so you can carry the kite into the water.
      Put a half hitch to tighten the lines on the TL and secure it with the
      3rd straps on the TL
      6- Carry the kite into the water
      7- Turn the kite over and "open it up" (same position as if the kite
      is flying straight over head) to check for any tangle (in the lines or
      bridle)
      8- Hook into the chicken loop and drop the kite face down into water
      (same position as when you put the kite down on land) with you upwind of
      the kite
      9- Unclip the 3rd strap, undo the half-hitch and walk back while the
      kite is drifting away slowly (there is little pull from the kite when it
      is in that position).
      10- Hold the 4 lines while the lines are released to keep some even
      light tension on the 4 lines to prevent the kite to turn around (which
      will then generates lots of pull)
      11- Release the 2 side straps from the bar near the end (most
      beginners forgot this step and may get tangle near the bar).
      12- When all the lines have been released, grab the bar and give it a
      strong pull/shake. The TL will be released from the bar and lines and
      dropped on the water
      13- Grab the TL and tie it to your harness or a floaty on the water
      14- Pull on one of the back line to turn the kite around and
      water-launch the kite

      Note that you can practice these steps on land many times without ever
      having to walk into the water (just carry the kite a few steps away and
      continue with step # 7 on land). In this case, the kite will not drift
      away but you can walk/run back to release the lines. Do it on land
      until you get 100% successful rate at least 3 consecutive times.

      The pre-loaded method is similar except that you roll the lines in the
      TL before connecting to the kite. More info of the pre-loaded method is
      at the TL web site.

      Hung