Re: [ksurfschool] Im eager to get into the sport and have some questions

  • George
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20 8:44 AM
      Martin,

      --- marin_michael <marin_michael@...> wrote:

      > I am looking to get into the exciting sport of kite
      > surfing.
      >
      > My first and most important question is whether
      > there is any decent
      > places around toronto for the sport. I was told
      > cherry beach allows
      > kitesurfers, is it true? Is there anything closer to
      > oakville?
      >
      > My second questions is whether I really need a
      > training kite.
      > Investing in one, I would probably end up playing
      > with it for a week
      > and then moving on to a "real" kite anyway. Is it
      > worth to invest in
      > a training kite or can I do without?

      A training kite will help most at the beginning.
      I've found that while waiting for the instructor to
      show up, it was a good way to get some kite
      handling parctice in. Also, if you go to the
      beach, it's a cool way to amuse yourself and the
      family. Also, the kids like to play with it.
      However, one you start flying the bigger
      kites, you will use it only a few times a year.

      > Everyone talks about equipment. I found a decent
      > equipment new for
      > $849. Can anyone recommend any not too expensive
      > equipment?

      My recommendation is to take lessons first. You will
      have a better idea what size and style of kite is
      best for you once you've taken lessons. Also, ask
      locals at the beach. Then, buy used gear if you can.
      There is plenty of real good quality gear out there
      that is relatively inexpensive compared to new
      gear (even at discount prices.) Research the types
      of beginner kites by visiting kite reviews on the
      web and make your decision based on that information,
      not on what's on sale at the shop.

      Would
      > you recommend I get just the kite and bar for
      > now...then the harness
      > then the board? Can I use a regular wakeboard if I
      > have one?

      I think wakeboards tend to have too much rocker,
      which makes them harder to plane up on in light wind
      conditions. You can get a used kiteboard (in 145-170
      range) fairly cheap. I suggest you get a helmet,
      floatation vest, kite harness (booties - if needed)
      and then kite + bar + board.

      You will need a harness.
      If you are a former windsurfer, you'll want to
      replace you harness with one made for kiting (one
      with
      grab handle in back, knife hook, stainless spreader
      bar ..).

      Good luck and welcome to the sport!

      George.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • KarabaszJP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20 10:44 AM
        We sell Naish Kite equipment we teach at our shop in Atlantic City Nj Check
        out our web_EXTREME WINDSURFING_
        (http://www.extremewindsurfing.com/index.html) site for teaching details or call me 484 515 5758

        _Jim Karabasz_ (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.windsurfing)
        _EXTREME WINDSURFING_ (http://www.extremewindsurfing.com/index.html)