Re: Im eager to get into the sport and have some questions

  • marin_michael
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
      Thanks Matt,

      What type of gear did you purchase? Where are you taking your
      lessons and what is the cost?

      Thanks,

      Mike

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, matt marek
      <guitardude2000_ca@...> wrote:

      > hi marin,
      > i am in the same boat as you...looking to get into
      > this sport. first off, i would recommend you do a few
      > classes or a course. i've taken one lesson already.
      > do it for your safety and the integrity of the sport.
      > the reason some beaches have banned kite surfing is
      > due to accidents that have involved the public. it
      > can be a very dangerous sport if you do not know what
      > you're doing. the cost of a couple classes will be
      > well more than the amount saved on damaging your own
      > gear, plus it will help you choose what gear to
      > purchase and save you from purchasing something
      > useless.
      >
      > i've seen kiters at cherry beach and have also been
      > told that ash bridges bay is decent. as to whether
      > they will be out this weekend, will depend on the
      > wind. not sure about areas closer to oakville.
      >
      > i believe i've heard that some kite surfers make do
      > with their wakeboard until they save up for a kite
      > board.
      >
      > cheers
      > matt
      > --- marin_michael <marin_michael@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I am looking to get into the exciting sport of kite
      > > surfing.
      > >
      > > My first and most important question is whether
      > > there is any decent
      > > places around toronto for the sport. I was told
      > > cherry beach allows
      > > kitesurfers, is it true? Is there anything closer to
      > > oakville?
      > >
      > > My second questions is whether I really need a
      > > training kite.
      > > Investing in one, I would probably end up playing
      > > with it for a week
      > > and then moving on to a "real" kite anyway. Is it
      > > worth to invest in
      > > a training kite or can I do without?
      > >
      > > Everyone talks about equipment. I found a decent
      > > equipment new for
      > > $849. Can anyone recommend any not too expensive
      > > equipment? Would
      > > you recommend I get just the kite and bar for
      > > now...then the harness
      > > then the board? Can I use a regular wakeboard if I
      > > have one?
      > >
      > > If I go to cherry beach this weekend, will I be
      > > seeing alot of
      > > kiteboarders? Is it a big sport around toronto?
      > >
      > > Should I be ok with on kite or do I need to get more
      > > then one?
      > >
      > > Please let me know.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Mike

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • George
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
        Martin,

        --- marin_michael <marin_michael@...> wrote:

        > I am looking to get into the exciting sport of kite
        > surfing.
        >
        > My first and most important question is whether
        > there is any decent
        > places around toronto for the sport. I was told
        > cherry beach allows
        > kitesurfers, is it true? Is there anything closer to
        > oakville?
        >
        > My second questions is whether I really need a
        > training kite.
        > Investing in one, I would probably end up playing
        > with it for a week
        > and then moving on to a "real" kite anyway. Is it
        > worth to invest in
        > a training kite or can I do without?

        A training kite will help most at the beginning.
        I've found that while waiting for the instructor to
        show up, it was a good way to get some kite
        handling parctice in. Also, if you go to the
        beach, it's a cool way to amuse yourself and the
        family. Also, the kids like to play with it.
        However, one you start flying the bigger
        kites, you will use it only a few times a year.

        > Everyone talks about equipment. I found a decent
        > equipment new for
        > $849. Can anyone recommend any not too expensive
        > equipment?

        My recommendation is to take lessons first. You will
        have a better idea what size and style of kite is
        best for you once you've taken lessons. Also, ask
        locals at the beach. Then, buy used gear if you can.
        There is plenty of real good quality gear out there
        that is relatively inexpensive compared to new
        gear (even at discount prices.) Research the types
        of beginner kites by visiting kite reviews on the
        web and make your decision based on that information,
        not on what's on sale at the shop.

        Would
        > you recommend I get just the kite and bar for
        > now...then the harness
        > then the board? Can I use a regular wakeboard if I
        > have one?

        I think wakeboards tend to have too much rocker,
        which makes them harder to plane up on in light wind
        conditions. You can get a used kiteboard (in 145-170
        range) fairly cheap. I suggest you get a helmet,
        floatation vest, kite harness (booties - if needed)
        and then kite + bar + board.

        You will need a harness.
        If you are a former windsurfer, you'll want to
        replace you harness with one made for kiting (one
        with
        grab handle in back, knife hook, stainless spreader
        bar ..).

        Good luck and welcome to the sport!

        George.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • KarabaszJP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
          We sell Naish Kite equipment we teach at our shop in Atlantic City Nj Check
          out our web_EXTREME WINDSURFING_
          (http://www.extremewindsurfing.com/index.html) site for teaching details or call me 484 515 5758

          _Jim Karabasz_ (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.windsurfing)
          _EXTREME WINDSURFING_ (http://www.extremewindsurfing.com/index.html)