Re: [ksurfschool] Im eager to get into the sport and have some questions

  • matt marek
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
      hi marin,
      i am in the same boat as you...looking to get into
      this sport. first off, i would recommend you do a few
      classes or a course. i've taken one lesson already.
      do it for your safety and the integrity of the sport.
      the reason some beaches have banned kite surfing is
      due to accidents that have involved the public. it
      can be a very dangerous sport if you do not know what
      you're doing. the cost of a couple classes will be
      well more than the amount saved on damaging your own
      gear, plus it will help you choose what gear to
      purchase and save you from purchasing something
      useless.

      i've seen kiters at cherry beach and have also been
      told that ash bridges bay is decent. as to whether
      they will be out this weekend, will depend on the
      wind. not sure about areas closer to oakville.

      i believe i've heard that some kite surfers make do
      with their wakeboard until they save up for a kite
      board.

      cheers
      matt
      --- marin_michael <marin_michael@...> wrote:

      > I am looking to get into the exciting sport of kite
      > surfing.
      >
      > My first and most important question is whether
      > there is any decent
      > places around toronto for the sport. I was told
      > cherry beach allows
      > kitesurfers, is it true? Is there anything closer to
      > oakville?
      >
      > My second questions is whether I really need a
      > training kite.
      > Investing in one, I would probably end up playing
      > with it for a week
      > and then moving on to a "real" kite anyway. Is it
      > worth to invest in
      > a training kite or can I do without?
      >
      > Everyone talks about equipment. I found a decent
      > equipment new for
      > $849. Can anyone recommend any not too expensive
      > equipment? Would
      > you recommend I get just the kite and bar for
      > now...then the harness
      > then the board? Can I use a regular wakeboard if I
      > have one?
      >
      > If I go to cherry beach this weekend, will I be
      > seeing alot of
      > kiteboarders? Is it a big sport around toronto?
      >
      > Should I be ok with on kite or do I need to get more
      > then one?
      >
      > Please let me know.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Mike

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • marin_michael
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
        Thanks Matt,

        What type of gear did you purchase? Where are you taking your
        lessons and what is the cost?

        Thanks,

        Mike

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, matt marek
        <guitardude2000_ca@...> wrote:

        > hi marin,
        > i am in the same boat as you...looking to get into
        > this sport. first off, i would recommend you do a few
        > classes or a course. i've taken one lesson already.
        > do it for your safety and the integrity of the sport.
        > the reason some beaches have banned kite surfing is
        > due to accidents that have involved the public. it
        > can be a very dangerous sport if you do not know what
        > you're doing. the cost of a couple classes will be
        > well more than the amount saved on damaging your own
        > gear, plus it will help you choose what gear to
        > purchase and save you from purchasing something
        > useless.
        >
        > i've seen kiters at cherry beach and have also been
        > told that ash bridges bay is decent. as to whether
        > they will be out this weekend, will depend on the
        > wind. not sure about areas closer to oakville.
        >
        > i believe i've heard that some kite surfers make do
        > with their wakeboard until they save up for a kite
        > board.
        >
        > cheers
        > matt
        > --- marin_michael <marin_michael@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I am looking to get into the exciting sport of kite
        > > surfing.
        > >
        > > My first and most important question is whether
        > > there is any decent
        > > places around toronto for the sport. I was told
        > > cherry beach allows
        > > kitesurfers, is it true? Is there anything closer to
        > > oakville?
        > >
        > > My second questions is whether I really need a
        > > training kite.
        > > Investing in one, I would probably end up playing
        > > with it for a week
        > > and then moving on to a "real" kite anyway. Is it
        > > worth to invest in
        > > a training kite or can I do without?
        > >
        > > Everyone talks about equipment. I found a decent
        > > equipment new for
        > > $849. Can anyone recommend any not too expensive
        > > equipment? Would
        > > you recommend I get just the kite and bar for
        > > now...then the harness
        > > then the board? Can I use a regular wakeboard if I
        > > have one?
        > >
        > > If I go to cherry beach this weekend, will I be
        > > seeing alot of
        > > kiteboarders? Is it a big sport around toronto?
        > >
        > > Should I be ok with on kite or do I need to get more
        > > then one?
        > >
        > > Please let me know.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Mike

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • George
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
          Martin,

          --- marin_michael <marin_michael@...> wrote:

          > I am looking to get into the exciting sport of kite
          > surfing.
          >
          > My first and most important question is whether
          > there is any decent
          > places around toronto for the sport. I was told
          > cherry beach allows
          > kitesurfers, is it true? Is there anything closer to
          > oakville?
          >
          > My second questions is whether I really need a
          > training kite.
          > Investing in one, I would probably end up playing
          > with it for a week
          > and then moving on to a "real" kite anyway. Is it
          > worth to invest in
          > a training kite or can I do without?

          A training kite will help most at the beginning.
          I've found that while waiting for the instructor to
          show up, it was a good way to get some kite
          handling parctice in. Also, if you go to the
          beach, it's a cool way to amuse yourself and the
          family. Also, the kids like to play with it.
          However, one you start flying the bigger
          kites, you will use it only a few times a year.

          > Everyone talks about equipment. I found a decent
          > equipment new for
          > $849. Can anyone recommend any not too expensive
          > equipment?

          My recommendation is to take lessons first. You will
          have a better idea what size and style of kite is
          best for you once you've taken lessons. Also, ask
          locals at the beach. Then, buy used gear if you can.
          There is plenty of real good quality gear out there
          that is relatively inexpensive compared to new
          gear (even at discount prices.) Research the types
          of beginner kites by visiting kite reviews on the
          web and make your decision based on that information,
          not on what's on sale at the shop.

          Would
          > you recommend I get just the kite and bar for
          > now...then the harness
          > then the board? Can I use a regular wakeboard if I
          > have one?

          I think wakeboards tend to have too much rocker,
          which makes them harder to plane up on in light wind
          conditions. You can get a used kiteboard (in 145-170
          range) fairly cheap. I suggest you get a helmet,
          floatation vest, kite harness (booties - if needed)
          and then kite + bar + board.

          You will need a harness.
          If you are a former windsurfer, you'll want to
          replace you harness with one made for kiting (one
          with
          grab handle in back, knife hook, stainless spreader
          bar ..).

          Good luck and welcome to the sport!

          George.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • KarabaszJP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
            We sell Naish Kite equipment we teach at our shop in Atlantic City Nj Check
            out our web_EXTREME WINDSURFING_
            (http://www.extremewindsurfing.com/index.html) site for teaching details or call me 484 515 5758

            _Jim Karabasz_ (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.windsurfing)
            _EXTREME WINDSURFING_ (http://www.extremewindsurfing.com/index.html)