Im eager to get into the sport and have some questions

  • marin_michael
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
      I am looking to get into the exciting sport of kite surfing.

      My first and most important question is whether there is any decent
      places around toronto for the sport. I was told cherry beach allows
      kitesurfers, is it true? Is there anything closer to oakville?

      My second questions is whether I really need a training kite.
      Investing in one, I would probably end up playing with it for a week
      and then moving on to a "real" kite anyway. Is it worth to invest in
      a training kite or can I do without?

      Everyone talks about equipment. I found a decent equipment new for
      $849. Can anyone recommend any not too expensive equipment? Would
      you recommend I get just the kite and bar for now...then the harness
      then the board? Can I use a regular wakeboard if I have one?

      If I go to cherry beach this weekend, will I be seeing alot of
      kiteboarders? Is it a big sport around toronto?

      Should I be ok with on kite or do I need to get more then one?

      Please let me know.

      Thanks,

      Mike
    • matt marek
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
        hi marin,
        i am in the same boat as you...looking to get into
        this sport. first off, i would recommend you do a few
        classes or a course. i've taken one lesson already.
        do it for your safety and the integrity of the sport.
        the reason some beaches have banned kite surfing is
        due to accidents that have involved the public. it
        can be a very dangerous sport if you do not know what
        you're doing. the cost of a couple classes will be
        well more than the amount saved on damaging your own
        gear, plus it will help you choose what gear to
        purchase and save you from purchasing something
        useless.

        i've seen kiters at cherry beach and have also been
        told that ash bridges bay is decent. as to whether
        they will be out this weekend, will depend on the
        wind. not sure about areas closer to oakville.

        i believe i've heard that some kite surfers make do
        with their wakeboard until they save up for a kite
        board.

        cheers
        matt
        --- marin_michael <marin_michael@...> wrote:

        > I am looking to get into the exciting sport of kite
        > surfing.
        >
        > My first and most important question is whether
        > there is any decent
        > places around toronto for the sport. I was told
        > cherry beach allows
        > kitesurfers, is it true? Is there anything closer to
        > oakville?
        >
        > My second questions is whether I really need a
        > training kite.
        > Investing in one, I would probably end up playing
        > with it for a week
        > and then moving on to a "real" kite anyway. Is it
        > worth to invest in
        > a training kite or can I do without?
        >
        > Everyone talks about equipment. I found a decent
        > equipment new for
        > $849. Can anyone recommend any not too expensive
        > equipment? Would
        > you recommend I get just the kite and bar for
        > now...then the harness
        > then the board? Can I use a regular wakeboard if I
        > have one?
        >
        > If I go to cherry beach this weekend, will I be
        > seeing alot of
        > kiteboarders? Is it a big sport around toronto?
        >
        > Should I be ok with on kite or do I need to get more
        > then one?
        >
        > Please let me know.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Mike

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • marin_michael
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
          Thanks Matt,

          What type of gear did you purchase? Where are you taking your
          lessons and what is the cost?

          Thanks,

          Mike

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, matt marek
          <guitardude2000_ca@...> wrote:

          > hi marin,
          > i am in the same boat as you...looking to get into
          > this sport. first off, i would recommend you do a few
          > classes or a course. i've taken one lesson already.
          > do it for your safety and the integrity of the sport.
          > the reason some beaches have banned kite surfing is
          > due to accidents that have involved the public. it
          > can be a very dangerous sport if you do not know what
          > you're doing. the cost of a couple classes will be
          > well more than the amount saved on damaging your own
          > gear, plus it will help you choose what gear to
          > purchase and save you from purchasing something
          > useless.
          >
          > i've seen kiters at cherry beach and have also been
          > told that ash bridges bay is decent. as to whether
          > they will be out this weekend, will depend on the
          > wind. not sure about areas closer to oakville.
          >
          > i believe i've heard that some kite surfers make do
          > with their wakeboard until they save up for a kite
          > board.
          >
          > cheers
          > matt
          > --- marin_michael <marin_michael@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I am looking to get into the exciting sport of kite
          > > surfing.
          > >
          > > My first and most important question is whether
          > > there is any decent
          > > places around toronto for the sport. I was told
          > > cherry beach allows
          > > kitesurfers, is it true? Is there anything closer to
          > > oakville?
          > >
          > > My second questions is whether I really need a
          > > training kite.
          > > Investing in one, I would probably end up playing
          > > with it for a week
          > > and then moving on to a "real" kite anyway. Is it
          > > worth to invest in
          > > a training kite or can I do without?
          > >
          > > Everyone talks about equipment. I found a decent
          > > equipment new for
          > > $849. Can anyone recommend any not too expensive
          > > equipment? Would
          > > you recommend I get just the kite and bar for
          > > now...then the harness
          > > then the board? Can I use a regular wakeboard if I
          > > have one?
          > >
          > > If I go to cherry beach this weekend, will I be
          > > seeing alot of
          > > kiteboarders? Is it a big sport around toronto?
          > >
          > > Should I be ok with on kite or do I need to get more
          > > then one?
          > >
          > > Please let me know.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Mike

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • George
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
            Martin,

            --- marin_michael <marin_michael@...> wrote:

            > I am looking to get into the exciting sport of kite
            > surfing.
            >
            > My first and most important question is whether
            > there is any decent
            > places around toronto for the sport. I was told
            > cherry beach allows
            > kitesurfers, is it true? Is there anything closer to
            > oakville?
            >
            > My second questions is whether I really need a
            > training kite.
            > Investing in one, I would probably end up playing
            > with it for a week
            > and then moving on to a "real" kite anyway. Is it
            > worth to invest in
            > a training kite or can I do without?

            A training kite will help most at the beginning.
            I've found that while waiting for the instructor to
            show up, it was a good way to get some kite
            handling parctice in. Also, if you go to the
            beach, it's a cool way to amuse yourself and the
            family. Also, the kids like to play with it.
            However, one you start flying the bigger
            kites, you will use it only a few times a year.

            > Everyone talks about equipment. I found a decent
            > equipment new for
            > $849. Can anyone recommend any not too expensive
            > equipment?

            My recommendation is to take lessons first. You will
            have a better idea what size and style of kite is
            best for you once you've taken lessons. Also, ask
            locals at the beach. Then, buy used gear if you can.
            There is plenty of real good quality gear out there
            that is relatively inexpensive compared to new
            gear (even at discount prices.) Research the types
            of beginner kites by visiting kite reviews on the
            web and make your decision based on that information,
            not on what's on sale at the shop.

            Would
            > you recommend I get just the kite and bar for
            > now...then the harness
            > then the board? Can I use a regular wakeboard if I
            > have one?

            I think wakeboards tend to have too much rocker,
            which makes them harder to plane up on in light wind
            conditions. You can get a used kiteboard (in 145-170
            range) fairly cheap. I suggest you get a helmet,
            floatation vest, kite harness (booties - if needed)
            and then kite + bar + board.

            You will need a harness.
            If you are a former windsurfer, you'll want to
            replace you harness with one made for kiting (one
            with
            grab handle in back, knife hook, stainless spreader
            bar ..).

            Good luck and welcome to the sport!

            George.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • KarabaszJP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
              We sell Naish Kite equipment we teach at our shop in Atlantic City Nj Check
              out our web_EXTREME WINDSURFING_
              (http://www.extremewindsurfing.com/index.html) site for teaching details or call me 484 515 5758

              _Jim Karabasz_ (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.windsurfing)
              _EXTREME WINDSURFING_ (http://www.extremewindsurfing.com/index.html)