Trim loop or not ?

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 27, 2000
      I have used the AR5 for almost a season now and every time I used the
      trim loop I felt it too "loose" and the result was that I went both
      slower and jumped lower.

      Is that the same experience others have or it just me?

      Hung.
    • kiteboard@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 28, 2000
        I think you actually go FASTER if you are POWERED UP in the trim loop. The
        trim loop is ONLY good if you are powered up, either by enough wind, or by
        adjusting the front lines long enough (on a modified adjustment strap).

        Mel
      • Dwight & Jacky
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 28, 2000
          The trim loop works best when SUPER powered up. When you start riding with
          insane power, the trim loop only depowers a little while riding and jumping.
          If you are not into riding that way, consider shortening the trim loop line
          length. I have done that myself, and enjoy using it more now. I can always
          use the adjusting strap for more range, when the trim loop doesn't depower
          enough.

          From the Fisher's Fort
          Kure Beach, NC
          Dwight & Jacky

          http://www.angelfire.com/nc/capefearwindsurfing/ (includes kitesurfing)

          > I have used the AR5 for almost a season now and every time I used the
          > trim loop I felt it too "loose" and the result was that I went both
          > slower and jumped lower.
          >
          > Is that the same experience others have or it just me?
          >
          > Hung.
        • Farnsworth, Kenny
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 28, 2000
            I also fly in the trim loop when the wind is extremely gusty (10+ mph
            gusts). I can react to the gusts better by sheeting out the kite in a big
            gust rather than trying to edge my board (I use a wakeboard). This means
            that I sometimes have to work the kite a bit during a lull while staying in
            the trim loop. This probably sounds funny to some of you that are used to
            steady ocean wind, but I can tell you from experience that trying to handle
            a 10 mph gust by edging the board and flying the kite upwind is extremely
            difficult. It is far easier to immediately sheet out and go upwind (the
            upwind capability of an AR5 in a big gust is unbelievable, it feels like you
            are almost going directly upwind).

            When the wind is strong or on-shore, I will launch my kite while in the trim
            loop as well. This prevents me from being dragged on-shore during a big
            gust (happened a few times on my two line inflatables and with my Concept
            Air New Wave).

            The trim loop works best when SUPER powered up. When you start riding with
            insane power, the trim loop only depowers a little while riding and jumping.
            If you are not into riding that way, consider shortening the trim loop line
            length. I have done that myself, and enjoy using it more now. I can always
            use the adjusting strap for more range, when the trim loop doesn't depower
            enough.

            From the Fisher's Fort
            Kure Beach, NC
            Dwight & Jacky

            http://www.angelfire.com/nc/capefearwindsurfing/ (includes kitesurfing)

            > I have used the AR5 for almost a season now and every time I used the
            > trim loop I felt it too "loose" and the result was that I went both
            > slower and jumped lower.
            >
            > Is that the same experience others have or it just me?
            >
            > Hung.
          • Farnsworth, Kenny
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 28, 2000
              Hung,

              In my last post I didn't mention that I don't use the trim loop in steady
              winds. It is better to use the trim strap in steady winds to "tune" the
              power of the kite. The trim loop makes it possible to kite surf in very
              gusty wind. I have not had any luck on a foil in super gusty conditions.

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 28, 2000
                I feel exactly the same. Even though I ride on the ocean, it's usually very
                gusty here, so I'm always hooked to the front lines & if it's steady I just
                adjust the strap so I'm properly powered in the main harness line. The
                problem with the stock system is that if you get in trouble in the trim loop
                you're screwed (no ability to release) which is why I attached it to my
                Reactor with a snap shackle.

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
                  It seems like the Wipika 4 line bar will solve my "looseness" problem as
                  it has only 1 harness loop and you can lock or unlock the "looseness" of
                  the loop by a simple twist of the bar.
                  http://www.wipika.com/Pages/n4line.html.

                  It also looks like in "loose" mode, you can turn the bar to untwist the
                  lines.

                  I am not sure how or whether it works but it definitely sounds very
                  interesting.

                  Hung.

                • kiteboard@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
                    Definitely interesting. It appears that it's still impossible to release
                    from the trim loop, unless fitted with another release as shown at
                    http://www.egroups.com/files/kitesurf/Steve%27s+Ideal+Sled+Bar/Longhorn+Setup/

                    cknloop.JPG

                    Mel