Re: [ksurfschool] Are new flat LEIs worth it?

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
      I personally have not used the first generartion flat LEI but via direct
      talk with others who have tried it, the differences mainly in relaunch
      problem, invert problem and somewhat heavier bar pressure.

      I would think that most 2nd generation flat LEIs would not have the same
      problem as the first and by next year, all flat LEIs (third generation?)
      would solve all of the first generation weaknesses...

      The flatness of the kite directly influences its behaviour. The flatter
      the LEI, the more it flies like foil. The less flat the kite the more
      it flies like a traditional LEI and therefore more familiar to most kiters.

      Hung.

    • Kitepower Sydney
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
        G'day Hung and George

        There is no such thing as first and second gen that is not an accurate way
        to describe the 2 types of kites that are being sold at the moment.

        The Cabrinha Crossbow and Switchblade, Slingshot TD, Airush Halo, Liquid
        Force Assault, Takoon Nova, etc are all "bow" kite based on a design by
        Bruno Legainoux. Bruno invented the popular C shaped kites we have all been
        using too.

        Then there is another group of kites that are based on that design, but with
        enough differences so as not to infringe on the patent Bruno holds or so it
        would seem.

        First and second gen is marketing babble, sorry Hung.

        Bruno has responded to many enquiries on www.kiteforum.com do a search. You
        will find that there are specific differences, and trade offs for the
        different shaped kites.

        The so called second generation kites have straight trailing edges, are not
        as wide span, do not depower as well, have less refined bars and control
        systems, and simply just don't fly as nicely as the original designs from
        Bruno.

        Bruno spent time with the Cabrinha kite designer, in China, in secret
        refining the Crossbow and switchblade designs, and he has stated that they
        are closest to his preferred design, He is working on refining the design
        even more and has stated that most of the initial and minor problems, can be
        overcome.

        www.kitepower.com.au

        _____

        George Sarris wrote:

> [...]
        > > hover at
        > > up
        > > is

        > > excellent.
        > >
        >=== message truncated ===

        >http://mail.yahoo.com

        >Sport fun
        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
        rfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIKbJVtuYtw>
        &k=Sport+fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIK
        bJVtuYtw>
        > Fun
        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
        c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC4A>
        &k=Fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC
        4A>
        > Kitesurfing
        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
        surfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgXbc6m-t582A>
        &k=Kitesurfing&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgX

        Sport
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sport+fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesu
        rfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIKbJVtuYtw> fun Fun
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&
        c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC4A> Kitesurfing
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Kitesurfing&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kite
        surfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgXbc6m-t582A>

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "ksurfschool
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ksurfschool> " on the web.

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
          Thanks Hung. I appreciate the information.

          George

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
            Kitepower Sydney wrote:

            >Bruno spent time with the Cabrinha kite designer, in China, in secret
            >refining the Crossbow and switchblade designs, and he has stated that they
            >are closest to his preferred design, He is working on refining the design
            >even more and has stated that most of the initial and minor problems, can be
            >overcome.

            Thanks Steve. Sounds like Bruno did confirm the initial minor problems
            in the first batch of his bow kites (as I heard directly from other
            kiters) and agreed with me that those minor problems can be overcome.
            Why did he stated MOST and not ALL? Aren't they pretty straight forward
            to fix?

            Hung.
          • Kitepower Sydney
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
              I guess thats because most of the problems are not real problems Hung. The
              "problems" have been blown out of proportion by pimps for other brands
              that did not or do not have a bow kite.
              So some "problems" are not problems at all, and therefore do not need to be
              fixed.

              All the flat and bow kites on the market have been out for max 6 months so I
              think it is a bit premature to be calling any of them second gen yet.

              www.kitepower.com.au

              _____