Re: [ksurfschool] Are new flat LEIs worth it?

  • ISHTAR LUESBY
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
      Thanks Hung!

      I am really looking forward to the Waroo today!

      Cheers Ishtar

      ps Do you have any xtra large kite harness for sale?

      hungvu2000@... wrote:
      Ishtar,

      The kitesurfing FAQ has some info at
      http://kitesurfingschool.org/faqs.htm#What%20types%20of%20kite%20can%20I%20use
      . Also here is a very brief summary of kite designs:
      - Wipika Classic Inflatable: Easy to relaunch, stable, low
      performance, non-depowerable
      - Kiteski Kites: High performance, cumbersome to relaunch but
      reliable, non-depowerable
      - Closed cell foil: High performance, non depowerable, easy to relaunch
      - Seasmik: High performance, heavy bar pressure, depowerable
      - 4 line inflatable: High performance, depowerable, light bar pressure
      - Arc: High performance, depowerable, light bar pressure
      - Flat 4 line LEI: High performance, 100% depowerable, light bar
      pressure, very easy to relaunch

      Flat LEI: First generation: Nova, Crossbow. Second generation: Waroo,
      Sonic, etc.

      Hung.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • George Sarris
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
        Hung,
        How much difference is there between the "first
        generation" and "second generation" flat LEI kites?
        Are the second generation kites less flat such as the
        Cabrinha Switchblade versus the Crossbow? Or is it
        bar pressure or something else?

        Thanks,
        George

        === message truncated ===

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • hungvu2000@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
          I personally have not used the first generartion flat LEI but via direct
          talk with others who have tried it, the differences mainly in relaunch
          problem, invert problem and somewhat heavier bar pressure.

          I would think that most 2nd generation flat LEIs would not have the same
          problem as the first and by next year, all flat LEIs (third generation?)
          would solve all of the first generation weaknesses...

          The flatness of the kite directly influences its behaviour. The flatter
          the LEI, the more it flies like foil. The less flat the kite the more
          it flies like a traditional LEI and therefore more familiar to most kiters.

          Hung.

        • Kitepower Sydney
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
            G'day Hung and George

            There is no such thing as first and second gen that is not an accurate way
            to describe the 2 types of kites that are being sold at the moment.

            The Cabrinha Crossbow and Switchblade, Slingshot TD, Airush Halo, Liquid
            Force Assault, Takoon Nova, etc are all "bow" kite based on a design by
            Bruno Legainoux. Bruno invented the popular C shaped kites we have all been
            using too.

            Then there is another group of kites that are based on that design, but with
            enough differences so as not to infringe on the patent Bruno holds or so it
            would seem.

            First and second gen is marketing babble, sorry Hung.

            Bruno has responded to many enquiries on www.kiteforum.com do a search. You
            will find that there are specific differences, and trade offs for the
            different shaped kites.

            The so called second generation kites have straight trailing edges, are not
            as wide span, do not depower as well, have less refined bars and control
            systems, and simply just don't fly as nicely as the original designs from
            Bruno.

            Bruno spent time with the Cabrinha kite designer, in China, in secret
            refining the Crossbow and switchblade designs, and he has stated that they
            are closest to his preferred design, He is working on refining the design
            even more and has stated that most of the initial and minor problems, can be
            overcome.

            www.kitepower.com.au

            _____

            George Sarris wrote:

> [...]
            > > hover at
            > > up
            > > is

            > > excellent.
            > >
            >=== message truncated ===

            >http://mail.yahoo.com

            >Sport fun
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
            rfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIKbJVtuYtw>
            &k=Sport+fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIK
            bJVtuYtw>
            > Fun
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
            c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC4A>
            &k=Fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC
            4A>
            > Kitesurfing
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
            surfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgXbc6m-t582A>
            &k=Kitesurfing&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgX

            Sport
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sport+fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesu
            rfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIKbJVtuYtw> fun Fun
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&
            c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC4A> Kitesurfing
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Kitesurfing&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kite
            surfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgXbc6m-t582A>

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "ksurfschool
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ksurfschool> " on the web.

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
              Thanks Hung. I appreciate the information.

              George

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                Kitepower Sydney wrote:

                >Bruno spent time with the Cabrinha kite designer, in China, in secret
                >refining the Crossbow and switchblade designs, and he has stated that they
                >are closest to his preferred design, He is working on refining the design
                >even more and has stated that most of the initial and minor problems, can be
                >overcome.

                Thanks Steve. Sounds like Bruno did confirm the initial minor problems
                in the first batch of his bow kites (as I heard directly from other
                kiters) and agreed with me that those minor problems can be overcome.
                Why did he stated MOST and not ALL? Aren't they pretty straight forward
                to fix?

                Hung.
              • Kitepower Sydney
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                  I guess thats because most of the problems are not real problems Hung. The
                  "problems" have been blown out of proportion by pimps for other brands
                  that did not or do not have a bow kite.
                  So some "problems" are not problems at all, and therefore do not need to be
                  fixed.

                  All the flat and bow kites on the market have been out for max 6 months so I
                  think it is a bit premature to be calling any of them second gen yet.

                  www.kitepower.com.au

                  _____