Re: [ksurfschool] Are new flat LEIs worth it?

  • ISHTAR LUESBY
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
      As a beginner and just learning the sport Hung, could you point me to a history of different kite design and performance. Could you also give a few examples of the new flat LEI kites? Many thanks Ishtar

      hungvu2000@... wrote: But wouldn't that make it like the Seasmik that we had few years ago?

      I would rate the new flat LEI as the way the future kites should be
      (both for water and snow).

      We talked about 100% depowered LEI and the "chicken loop is the safety
      leash" concept a few years back and now the flat LEIs seems to deliver
      it alright without any (or much) compromise.

      I was a long supporter of foils and still am in some respects but the
      new flat LEIs really impressed me.

      Some of them have the invert problem (being too flat) but most of them
      (and all of them eventually) would eliminate this completely by being
      less flat or a firmer LE.

      P.S., To launch the kite today (in good strong wind), I attached the
      chicken loop to my snowboard then went to the kite to launch it at the
      edge of the wind window. I went back to my snowboard and casually
      removed the chicken loop from the snowboard and attached it to my
      harness. I then sit down, put the snowboard binding on and slowly
      brought the kite up and kited. This is pretty amazing!

      Hung.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • hungvu2000@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
        Ishtar,

        The kitesurfing FAQ has some info at
        http://kitesurfingschool.org/faqs.htm#What%20types%20of%20kite%20can%20I%20use
        . Also here is a very brief summary of kite designs:
        - Wipika Classic Inflatable: Easy to relaunch, stable, low
        performance, non-depowerable
        - Kiteski Kites: High performance, cumbersome to relaunch but
        reliable, non-depowerable
        - Closed cell foil: High performance, non depowerable, easy to relaunch
        - Seasmik: High performance, heavy bar pressure, depowerable
        - 4 line inflatable: High performance, depowerable, light bar pressure
        - Arc: High performance, depowerable, light bar pressure
        - Flat 4 line LEI: High performance, 100% depowerable, light bar
        pressure, very easy to relaunch

        Flat LEI: First generation: Nova, Crossbow. Second generation: Waroo,
        Sonic, etc.

        Hung.

      • ISHTAR LUESBY
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
          Thanks Hung!

          I am really looking forward to the Waroo today!

          Cheers Ishtar

          ps Do you have any xtra large kite harness for sale?

          ISHTAR LUESBY wrote:

> [...]
          > > > Xbow

          > > > weeks
          > > > flat

          > > > about

          > > > it.
          > > > kite
          > > > around at
          > > > You
          > > > the
          > > > slowly
          > > > feels
          > > > now

          > > > "take
          > > > limit"
          > > > the

          > > > protection around

          > > > answers

          > > > ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          > > > ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

          > > > email to:

          > > > Yahoo! Terms of Service

          > >http://mail.yahoo.com
          > >

          > >If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • George Sarris
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
            Hung,
            How much difference is there between the "first
            generation" and "second generation" flat LEI kites?
            Are the second generation kites less flat such as the
            Cabrinha Switchblade versus the Crossbow? Or is it
            bar pressure or something else?

            Thanks,
            George

            === message truncated ===

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • hungvu2000@rogers.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
              I personally have not used the first generartion flat LEI but via direct
              talk with others who have tried it, the differences mainly in relaunch
              problem, invert problem and somewhat heavier bar pressure.

              I would think that most 2nd generation flat LEIs would not have the same
              problem as the first and by next year, all flat LEIs (third generation?)
              would solve all of the first generation weaknesses...

              The flatness of the kite directly influences its behaviour. The flatter
              the LEI, the more it flies like foil. The less flat the kite the more
              it flies like a traditional LEI and therefore more familiar to most kiters.

              Hung.

            • Kitepower Sydney
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                G'day Hung and George

                There is no such thing as first and second gen that is not an accurate way
                to describe the 2 types of kites that are being sold at the moment.

                The Cabrinha Crossbow and Switchblade, Slingshot TD, Airush Halo, Liquid
                Force Assault, Takoon Nova, etc are all "bow" kite based on a design by
                Bruno Legainoux. Bruno invented the popular C shaped kites we have all been
                using too.

                Then there is another group of kites that are based on that design, but with
                enough differences so as not to infringe on the patent Bruno holds or so it
                would seem.

                First and second gen is marketing babble, sorry Hung.

                Bruno has responded to many enquiries on www.kiteforum.com do a search. You
                will find that there are specific differences, and trade offs for the
                different shaped kites.

                The so called second generation kites have straight trailing edges, are not
                as wide span, do not depower as well, have less refined bars and control
                systems, and simply just don't fly as nicely as the original designs from
                Bruno.

                Bruno spent time with the Cabrinha kite designer, in China, in secret
                refining the Crossbow and switchblade designs, and he has stated that they
                are closest to his preferred design, He is working on refining the design
                even more and has stated that most of the initial and minor problems, can be
                overcome.

                www.kitepower.com.au

                _____

                George Sarris wrote:

> [...]
                > > hover at
                > > up
                > > is

                > > excellent.
                > >
                >=== message truncated ===

                >http://mail.yahoo.com

                >Sport fun
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                rfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIKbJVtuYtw>
                &k=Sport+fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIK
                bJVtuYtw>
                > Fun
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC4A>
                &k=Fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC
                4A>
                > Kitesurfing
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                surfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgXbc6m-t582A>
                &k=Kitesurfing&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgX

                Sport
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sport+fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesu
                rfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIKbJVtuYtw> fun Fun
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&
                c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC4A> Kitesurfing
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Kitesurfing&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kite
                surfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgXbc6m-t582A>

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "ksurfschool
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ksurfschool> " on the web.

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                  Thanks Hung. I appreciate the information.

                  George

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                    Kitepower Sydney wrote:

                    >Bruno spent time with the Cabrinha kite designer, in China, in secret
                    >refining the Crossbow and switchblade designs, and he has stated that they
                    >are closest to his preferred design, He is working on refining the design
                    >even more and has stated that most of the initial and minor problems, can be
                    >overcome.

                    Thanks Steve. Sounds like Bruno did confirm the initial minor problems
                    in the first batch of his bow kites (as I heard directly from other
                    kiters) and agreed with me that those minor problems can be overcome.
                    Why did he stated MOST and not ALL? Aren't they pretty straight forward
                    to fix?

                    Hung.
                  • Kitepower Sydney
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                      I guess thats because most of the problems are not real problems Hung. The
                      "problems" have been blown out of proportion by pimps for other brands
                      that did not or do not have a bow kite.
                      So some "problems" are not problems at all, and therefore do not need to be
                      fixed.

                      All the flat and bow kites on the market have been out for max 6 months so I
                      think it is a bit premature to be calling any of them second gen yet.

                      www.kitepower.com.au

                      _____