Re: [ksurfschool] Are new flat LEIs worth it?

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
      Although I do not own a flat LEI (bow kite) I have
      read forums regarding the kite inverting. Supposedly
      after that happens, there is little control in
      depowering. I plan to buy a flat LEI bow kite by late
      spring if the prices come down to what I would
      consider reasonable. The prices for a Cabrinha Xbow
      16m are around $1700 complete. I would consider
      purchasing one if the price was around $1200-$1300.

      George

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • hungvu2000@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
        George,

        Some flat LEI kites have the invert problems due to their flatness. The
        flatter the kite, the more it tends to invert. I think that all future
        flat LEI kites will not be too flat to remove this problem.

        Also, you need some curve in the kite to get the "sled boosting" effect
        as described in
        http://kitesurfingschool.org/kite.htm#Kite%20Design%20Fundamentals
        (heavy duty reading)

        Hung.

      • George Sarris
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 3, 2006
          Hung,
          Could perhaps the inverting be controlled by adding a
          few more bridle lines that attach to points not on the
          leading edge of the kite such as that of a foil? I've
          never heard of a foil kite inverting, but I've not
          read much about foils. In rating foils versus bow
          kites, which would your recommend? I may try a foil
          if the bow kite prices stay high (Flysurfer versus
          Cabrinha Xbow).
          Thanks,
          George

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • hungvu2000@rogers.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
            But wouldn't that make it like the Seasmik that we had few years ago?

            I would rate the new flat LEI as the way the future kites should be
            (both for water and snow).

            We talked about 100% depowered LEI and the "chicken loop is the safety
            leash" concept a few years back and now the flat LEIs seems to deliver
            it alright without any (or much) compromise.

            I was a long supporter of foils and still am in some respects but the
            new flat LEIs really impressed me.

            Some of them have the invert problem (being too flat) but most of them
            (and all of them eventually) would eliminate this completely by being
            less flat or a firmer LE.

            P.S., To launch the kite today (in good strong wind), I attached the
            chicken loop to my snowboard then went to the kite to launch it at the
            edge of the wind window. I went back to my snowboard and casually
            removed the chicken loop from the snowboard and attached it to my
            harness. I then sit down, put the snowboard binding on and slowly
            brought the kite up and kited. This is pretty amazing!

            Hung.

          • ISHTAR LUESBY
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
              As a beginner and just learning the sport Hung, could you point me to a history of different kite design and performance. Could you also give a few examples of the new flat LEI kites? Many thanks Ishtar

              hungvu2000@... wrote: But wouldn't that make it like the Seasmik that we had few years ago?

              George Sarris wrote:

> [...]
              > > Xbow
              > > >16m are around $1700 complete. I would consider
              > > >purchasing one if the price was around $1200-$1300.
              > > >
              > > >George

              > > weeks
              > > flat

              > > about

              > > it.
              > > kite
              > > around at
              > > You
              > > the
              > > slowly
              > > feels
              > > now

              > > "take
              > > limit"
              > > the

              > > >Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
              > > protection around
              > > >http://mail.yahoo.com
              > > >

              > > >If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • hungvu2000@rogers.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
                Ishtar,

                The kitesurfing FAQ has some info at
                http://kitesurfingschool.org/faqs.htm#What%20types%20of%20kite%20can%20I%20use
                . Also here is a very brief summary of kite designs:
                - Wipika Classic Inflatable: Easy to relaunch, stable, low
                performance, non-depowerable
                - Kiteski Kites: High performance, cumbersome to relaunch but
                reliable, non-depowerable
                - Closed cell foil: High performance, non depowerable, easy to relaunch
                - Seasmik: High performance, heavy bar pressure, depowerable
                - 4 line inflatable: High performance, depowerable, light bar pressure
                - Arc: High performance, depowerable, light bar pressure
                - Flat 4 line LEI: High performance, 100% depowerable, light bar
                pressure, very easy to relaunch

                Flat LEI: First generation: Nova, Crossbow. Second generation: Waroo,
                Sonic, etc.

                Hung.

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
                  Thanks Hung!

                  I am really looking forward to the Waroo today!

                  Cheers Ishtar

                  ps Do you have any xtra large kite harness for sale?

                  ISHTAR LUESBY wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > Xbow

                  > > > weeks
                  > > > flat

                  > > > about

                  > > > it.
                  > > > kite
                  > > > around at
                  > > > You
                  > > > the
                  > > > slowly
                  > > > feels
                  > > > now

                  > > > "take
                  > > > limit"
                  > > > the

                  > > > protection around

                  > > > answers

                  > > > ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
                  > > > ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

                  > > > email to:

                  > > > Yahoo! Terms of Service

                  > >http://mail.yahoo.com
                  > >

                  > >If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • George Sarris
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
                    Hung,
                    How much difference is there between the "first
                    generation" and "second generation" flat LEI kites?
                    Are the second generation kites less flat such as the
                    Cabrinha Switchblade versus the Crossbow? Or is it
                    bar pressure or something else?

                    Thanks,
                    George

                    === message truncated ===

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
                      I personally have not used the first generartion flat LEI but via direct
                      talk with others who have tried it, the differences mainly in relaunch
                      problem, invert problem and somewhat heavier bar pressure.

                      I would think that most 2nd generation flat LEIs would not have the same
                      problem as the first and by next year, all flat LEIs (third generation?)
                      would solve all of the first generation weaknesses...

                      The flatness of the kite directly influences its behaviour. The flatter
                      the LEI, the more it flies like foil. The less flat the kite the more
                      it flies like a traditional LEI and therefore more familiar to most kiters.

                      Hung.

                    • Kitepower Sydney
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                        G'day Hung and George

                        There is no such thing as first and second gen that is not an accurate way
                        to describe the 2 types of kites that are being sold at the moment.

                        The Cabrinha Crossbow and Switchblade, Slingshot TD, Airush Halo, Liquid
                        Force Assault, Takoon Nova, etc are all "bow" kite based on a design by
                        Bruno Legainoux. Bruno invented the popular C shaped kites we have all been
                        using too.

                        Then there is another group of kites that are based on that design, but with
                        enough differences so as not to infringe on the patent Bruno holds or so it
                        would seem.

                        First and second gen is marketing babble, sorry Hung.

                        Bruno has responded to many enquiries on www.kiteforum.com do a search. You
                        will find that there are specific differences, and trade offs for the
                        different shaped kites.

                        The so called second generation kites have straight trailing edges, are not
                        as wide span, do not depower as well, have less refined bars and control
                        systems, and simply just don't fly as nicely as the original designs from
                        Bruno.

                        Bruno spent time with the Cabrinha kite designer, in China, in secret
                        refining the Crossbow and switchblade designs, and he has stated that they
                        are closest to his preferred design, He is working on refining the design
                        even more and has stated that most of the initial and minor problems, can be
                        overcome.

                        www.kitepower.com.au

                        _____

                        George Sarris wrote:

> [...]
                        > > hover at
                        > > up
                        > > is

                        > > excellent.
                        > >
                        >=== message truncated ===

                        >http://mail.yahoo.com

                        >Sport fun
                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                        rfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIKbJVtuYtw>
                        &k=Sport+fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIK
                        bJVtuYtw>
                        > Fun
                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                        c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC4A>
                        &k=Fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC
                        4A>
                        > Kitesurfing
                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                        surfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgXbc6m-t582A>
                        &k=Kitesurfing&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgX

                        Sport
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sport+fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesu
                        rfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIKbJVtuYtw> fun Fun
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&
                        c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC4A> Kitesurfing
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Kitesurfing&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kite
                        surfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgXbc6m-t582A>

                        _____

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        * Visit your group "ksurfschool
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ksurfschool> " on the web.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                          Thanks Hung. I appreciate the information.

                          George

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                            Kitepower Sydney wrote:

                            >Bruno spent time with the Cabrinha kite designer, in China, in secret
                            >refining the Crossbow and switchblade designs, and he has stated that they
                            >are closest to his preferred design, He is working on refining the design
                            >even more and has stated that most of the initial and minor problems, can be
                            >overcome.

                            Thanks Steve. Sounds like Bruno did confirm the initial minor problems
                            in the first batch of his bow kites (as I heard directly from other
                            kiters) and agreed with me that those minor problems can be overcome.
                            Why did he stated MOST and not ALL? Aren't they pretty straight forward
                            to fix?

                            Hung.
                          • Kitepower Sydney
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                              I guess thats because most of the problems are not real problems Hung. The
                              "problems" have been blown out of proportion by pimps for other brands
                              that did not or do not have a bow kite.
                              So some "problems" are not problems at all, and therefore do not need to be
                              fixed.

                              All the flat and bow kites on the market have been out for max 6 months so I
                              think it is a bit premature to be calling any of them second gen yet.

                              www.kitepower.com.au

                              _____