Are new flat LEIs worth it?

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
      Having used a new flat LEI in the last couple weeks on snow, my response
      is a definite yes for snow (assuming that all flat LEIs are somewhat
      similar).

      So far, there are almost no negative things about the flat LEI kite I used.

      The positive things are:
      - Depower: boy, can these flat kite ever DEpower. I've never had to
      use the safety leash and wonder whether you need it. There was a time I
      crash landed and the bar got off my hand, the kite lost control and shot
      across the wind window. I was not dragged around at all for that.
      - Relaunch on snow: even better than foil. You just let go off the
      bar and the kite will slowly drop and hover at the window edge waiting
      for relaunch. When you relaunch, it goes up slowly and not dragging you
      around like foil.
      - Less kite to carry around: A single 9m feels like a 8m/10m combo
      (or even a 7m/11m combo). Two kite quiver is now possible. For me
      probably a 9 and a 15 flat LEI.

      Jumping is very good and hang time is excellent. The condition have
      never been ideal so I did not have a chance to "take it to the limit";
      however, I would think its "take it to the limit" jumping and hang time
      performance would be better if not the same as the traditional LEIs.

      I will know more about it on water in spring.

    • George Sarris
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
        Although I do not own a flat LEI (bow kite) I have
        read forums regarding the kite inverting. Supposedly
        after that happens, there is little control in
        depowering. I plan to buy a flat LEI bow kite by late
        spring if the prices come down to what I would
        consider reasonable. The prices for a Cabrinha Xbow
        16m are around $1700 complete. I would consider
        purchasing one if the price was around $1200-$1300.

        George

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • hungvu2000@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
          George,

          Some flat LEI kites have the invert problems due to their flatness. The
          flatter the kite, the more it tends to invert. I think that all future
          flat LEI kites will not be too flat to remove this problem.

          Also, you need some curve in the kite to get the "sled boosting" effect
          as described in
          http://kitesurfingschool.org/kite.htm#Kite%20Design%20Fundamentals
          (heavy duty reading)

          Hung.

        • George Sarris
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 3, 2006
            Hung,
            Could perhaps the inverting be controlled by adding a
            few more bridle lines that attach to points not on the
            leading edge of the kite such as that of a foil? I've
            never heard of a foil kite inverting, but I've not
            read much about foils. In rating foils versus bow
            kites, which would your recommend? I may try a foil
            if the bow kite prices stay high (Flysurfer versus
            Cabrinha Xbow).
            Thanks,
            George

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • hungvu2000@rogers.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
              But wouldn't that make it like the Seasmik that we had few years ago?

              I would rate the new flat LEI as the way the future kites should be
              (both for water and snow).

              We talked about 100% depowered LEI and the "chicken loop is the safety
              leash" concept a few years back and now the flat LEIs seems to deliver
              it alright without any (or much) compromise.

              I was a long supporter of foils and still am in some respects but the
              new flat LEIs really impressed me.

              Some of them have the invert problem (being too flat) but most of them
              (and all of them eventually) would eliminate this completely by being
              less flat or a firmer LE.

              P.S., To launch the kite today (in good strong wind), I attached the
              chicken loop to my snowboard then went to the kite to launch it at the
              edge of the wind window. I went back to my snowboard and casually
              removed the chicken loop from the snowboard and attached it to my
              harness. I then sit down, put the snowboard binding on and slowly
              brought the kite up and kited. This is pretty amazing!

              Hung.

            • ISHTAR LUESBY
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
                As a beginner and just learning the sport Hung, could you point me to a history of different kite design and performance. Could you also give a few examples of the new flat LEI kites? Many thanks Ishtar

                hungvu2000@... wrote: But wouldn't that make it like the Seasmik that we had few years ago?

                George Sarris wrote:

> [...]
                > > Xbow
                > > >16m are around $1700 complete. I would consider
                > > >purchasing one if the price was around $1200-$1300.
                > > >
                > > >George

                > > weeks
                > > flat

                > > about

                > > it.
                > > kite
                > > around at
                > > You
                > > the
                > > slowly
                > > feels
                > > now

                > > "take
                > > limit"
                > > the

                > > >Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
                > > protection around
                > > >http://mail.yahoo.com
                > > >

                > > >If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • hungvu2000@rogers.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
                  Ishtar,

                  The kitesurfing FAQ has some info at
                  http://kitesurfingschool.org/faqs.htm#What%20types%20of%20kite%20can%20I%20use
                  . Also here is a very brief summary of kite designs:
                  - Wipika Classic Inflatable: Easy to relaunch, stable, low
                  performance, non-depowerable
                  - Kiteski Kites: High performance, cumbersome to relaunch but
                  reliable, non-depowerable
                  - Closed cell foil: High performance, non depowerable, easy to relaunch
                  - Seasmik: High performance, heavy bar pressure, depowerable
                  - 4 line inflatable: High performance, depowerable, light bar pressure
                  - Arc: High performance, depowerable, light bar pressure
                  - Flat 4 line LEI: High performance, 100% depowerable, light bar
                  pressure, very easy to relaunch

                  Flat LEI: First generation: Nova, Crossbow. Second generation: Waroo,
                  Sonic, etc.

                  Hung.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
                    Thanks Hung!

                    I am really looking forward to the Waroo today!

                    Cheers Ishtar

                    ps Do you have any xtra large kite harness for sale?

                    ISHTAR LUESBY wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > Xbow

                    > > > weeks
                    > > > flat

                    > > > about

                    > > > it.
                    > > > kite
                    > > > around at
                    > > > You
                    > > > the
                    > > > slowly
                    > > > feels
                    > > > now

                    > > > "take
                    > > > limit"
                    > > > the

                    > > > protection around

                    > > > answers

                    > > > ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
                    > > > ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

                    > > > email to:

                    > > > Yahoo! Terms of Service

                    > >http://mail.yahoo.com
                    > >

                    > >If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • George Sarris
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
                      Hung,
                      How much difference is there between the "first
                      generation" and "second generation" flat LEI kites?
                      Are the second generation kites less flat such as the
                      Cabrinha Switchblade versus the Crossbow? Or is it
                      bar pressure or something else?

                      Thanks,
                      George

                      === message truncated ===

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • hungvu2000@rogers.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
                        I personally have not used the first generartion flat LEI but via direct
                        talk with others who have tried it, the differences mainly in relaunch
                        problem, invert problem and somewhat heavier bar pressure.

                        I would think that most 2nd generation flat LEIs would not have the same
                        problem as the first and by next year, all flat LEIs (third generation?)
                        would solve all of the first generation weaknesses...

                        The flatness of the kite directly influences its behaviour. The flatter
                        the LEI, the more it flies like foil. The less flat the kite the more
                        it flies like a traditional LEI and therefore more familiar to most kiters.

                        Hung.

                      • Kitepower Sydney
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                          G'day Hung and George

                          There is no such thing as first and second gen that is not an accurate way
                          to describe the 2 types of kites that are being sold at the moment.

                          The Cabrinha Crossbow and Switchblade, Slingshot TD, Airush Halo, Liquid
                          Force Assault, Takoon Nova, etc are all "bow" kite based on a design by
                          Bruno Legainoux. Bruno invented the popular C shaped kites we have all been
                          using too.

                          Then there is another group of kites that are based on that design, but with
                          enough differences so as not to infringe on the patent Bruno holds or so it
                          would seem.

                          First and second gen is marketing babble, sorry Hung.

                          Bruno has responded to many enquiries on www.kiteforum.com do a search. You
                          will find that there are specific differences, and trade offs for the
                          different shaped kites.

                          The so called second generation kites have straight trailing edges, are not
                          as wide span, do not depower as well, have less refined bars and control
                          systems, and simply just don't fly as nicely as the original designs from
                          Bruno.

                          Bruno spent time with the Cabrinha kite designer, in China, in secret
                          refining the Crossbow and switchblade designs, and he has stated that they
                          are closest to his preferred design, He is working on refining the design
                          even more and has stated that most of the initial and minor problems, can be
                          overcome.

                          www.kitepower.com.au

                          _____

                          George Sarris wrote:

> [...]
                          > > hover at
                          > > up
                          > > is

                          > > excellent.
                          > >
                          >=== message truncated ===

                          >http://mail.yahoo.com

                          >Sport fun
                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                          rfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIKbJVtuYtw>
                          &k=Sport+fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIK
                          bJVtuYtw>
                          > Fun
                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                          c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC4A>
                          &k=Fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC
                          4A>
                          > Kitesurfing
                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                          surfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgXbc6m-t582A>
                          &k=Kitesurfing&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgX

                          Sport
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sport+fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesu
                          rfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=Afks9WONK-OzIKbJVtuYtw> fun Fun
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kitesurfing&
                          c=3&s=41&.sig=Sj-_6zKuaYXUxZJifkyC4A> Kitesurfing
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Kitesurfing&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Kite
                          surfing&c=3&s=41&.sig=PSOJPhOJnQgXbc6m-t582A>

                          _____

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          * Visit your group "ksurfschool
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ksurfschool> " on the web.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                            Thanks Hung. I appreciate the information.

                            George

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                              Kitepower Sydney wrote:

                              >Bruno spent time with the Cabrinha kite designer, in China, in secret
                              >refining the Crossbow and switchblade designs, and he has stated that they
                              >are closest to his preferred design, He is working on refining the design
                              >even more and has stated that most of the initial and minor problems, can be
                              >overcome.

                              Thanks Steve. Sounds like Bruno did confirm the initial minor problems
                              in the first batch of his bow kites (as I heard directly from other
                              kiters) and agreed with me that those minor problems can be overcome.
                              Why did he stated MOST and not ALL? Aren't they pretty straight forward
                              to fix?

                              Hung.
                            • Kitepower Sydney
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                                I guess thats because most of the problems are not real problems Hung. The
                                "problems" have been blown out of proportion by pimps for other brands
                                that did not or do not have a bow kite.
                                So some "problems" are not problems at all, and therefore do not need to be
                                fixed.

                                All the flat and bow kites on the market have been out for max 6 months so I
                                think it is a bit premature to be calling any of them second gen yet.

                                www.kitepower.com.au

                                _____