Where are we?

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2005
      Just some thought for the end of 2005.

      In 1998 a large number of kitesurfing pioneers started learning the
      sport and many have argued that was the year kitesurfing "really started".

      Now it is somewhat 7 years old. Some info:

      - The original patent has expired
      - The new flat inflatable kite is getting more popular
      - Foils have been defeated
      - Arc is a bit weak
      - Kiteski (water) is gone
      - Kiteship or kiteboat is still limited and somewhat disappointing
      - A new innovation for kiteship or kiteboat is needed to make it more
      popular
      - Kitesnowboarding and kiteskiing is even more popular than
      kitesurfing in colder climate
      - 2,320,000 sites found on Google for "kitesurfing" (only 1,220,000
      for "kiteboarding")
      - 3 top kitesurfing sites on Google: http://kitesurfing.com (Don's
      site?), http://kitesurfingschool.org (Opensource kitesurfing site) and
      http://kitesurfing.org (British Kitesurfing Association)

      Hung.
    • jakob Thegerström
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 2005
        Hi!

        I can't really agree on all these conclusions.

        - Foils have been defeated

        I think that thanks a lot to the amazing developpment
        of flat foils and especially the flysurfer kites, tube
        manufacturers "had" to make a flat kite (more
        accessible and safer, not more performance as I've
        understand it).

        The fs speed foil still got the best L/D ratio... I
        think it's just a matter of time before they take the
        speed record on first snow (I think they already have
        it with 108km/h) and when on water as soon as they
        find a good enough rider for this purpose...

        For winter use foils are by far the first choice for
        serious snowkiting. This is mainly due to the ease of
        handling on ground. (Arcs and tubes are simply not
        convenient for launching & landing on snow + the mess
        of pumping up a LEI with freezing fingers).

        - Arc is a bit weak

        The arc concept doesn't seam to be fully developped. I
        think this is due to the small size of the peterlynn
        company and also to an exclusive license in the
        technology that doesn't push for R&D. (what would have
        happened to the tubes if we only had wipika as
        exclusive producer?!?) Although the arc kites are bad
        in low winds they are superior to traditional C kites
        in the upper wind ranges, and in gusty wind
        conditions. If you read the last "developpment" on
        arcusers you will also see that there seam to be a lot
        of possibilities to increase low end on these kites.

        well if you want to convince me of the opposite you
        have to give me arguments ;)

        cheers
        /Jakob

[...]

        answers