Re: [ksurfschool] Flat Inflatable?

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16, 2005
      I don't know what the differences are as I've never
      taken the opportunity to examine them.

      As far as using a flat inflatable versus a standard
      inflatable there are three factors I would consider.

      1. Wind range. It appears that a flat inflatable
      would have a lower wind range/requirement compared
      with a standard inflatable. i.e. a 12 m flat would be
      comparable with a 15m standard? Is this true? Or is
      the difference not that great?

      2. Cost. If #1 is true you could purchase a smaller
      kite for the wind conditions in your area.

      3. Depowerability. Is the depowerability greater for
      flat inflatables?

      Just my 2 knots worth.

      George

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 16, 2005
        According to the claims:

        >1. Wind range. It appears that a flat inflatable
        >would have a lower wind range/requirement compared
        >with a standard inflatable. i.e. a 12 m flat would be
        >comparable with a 15m standard? Is this true? Or is
        >the difference not that great?

        This should be similar to foil vs inflatable

        >2. Cost. If #1 is true you could purchase a smaller
        >kite for the wind conditions in your area.

        This should be similar to foil vs inflatable

        >3. Depowerability. Is the depowerability greater for
        >flat inflatables?

        This seem to be the case for flat inflatable due to the front bridle
        (I, and Steve ?, have done some experiment with this simple front
        bridle for a standard inflatable a few years back with some positive
        result).

        The bar pressure on most flat inflatables is higher than standard
        inflatables. It is very interesting that GK has flat inflatable with
        light pressure.

        P.S., The idea of simple front bridle is not new and again it was
        "invented" on this group first by some of us a few years back. Flat
        inflatable is not new either, it is "borrowed" from Seasmik or
        Flexifoil Nesus. However the combination of flat inflatable and simple
        front bridle (with no internal bridle) is new.