Flat Inflatable?

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16, 2005
      So what are the differences between this type of kite:
      http://www.globekites.com/gksonic and the other "flat inflatable" kites?

      Would you use the flat inflatable kites or the standard inflatables and why?

      Hung.
    • George Sarris
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 16, 2005
        I don't know what the differences are as I've never
        taken the opportunity to examine them.

        As far as using a flat inflatable versus a standard
        inflatable there are three factors I would consider.

        1. Wind range. It appears that a flat inflatable
        would have a lower wind range/requirement compared
        with a standard inflatable. i.e. a 12 m flat would be
        comparable with a 15m standard? Is this true? Or is
        the difference not that great?

        2. Cost. If #1 is true you could purchase a smaller
        kite for the wind conditions in your area.

        3. Depowerability. Is the depowerability greater for
        flat inflatables?

        Just my 2 knots worth.

        George

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2005
          According to the claims:

          >1. Wind range. It appears that a flat inflatable
          >would have a lower wind range/requirement compared
          >with a standard inflatable. i.e. a 12 m flat would be
          >comparable with a 15m standard? Is this true? Or is
          >the difference not that great?

          This should be similar to foil vs inflatable

          >2. Cost. If #1 is true you could purchase a smaller
          >kite for the wind conditions in your area.

          This should be similar to foil vs inflatable

          >3. Depowerability. Is the depowerability greater for
          >flat inflatables?

          This seem to be the case for flat inflatable due to the front bridle
          (I, and Steve ?, have done some experiment with this simple front
          bridle for a standard inflatable a few years back with some positive
          result).

          The bar pressure on most flat inflatables is higher than standard
          inflatables. It is very interesting that GK has flat inflatable with
          light pressure.

          P.S., The idea of simple front bridle is not new and again it was
          "invented" on this group first by some of us a few years back. Flat
          inflatable is not new either, it is "borrowed" from Seasmik or
          Flexifoil Nesus. However the combination of flat inflatable and simple
          front bridle (with no internal bridle) is new.