SS Machine 20.5

  • Doug Haluza
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2005
      Well I finally got out on my new 20.5 machine today. When I got to the
      beach I measured 8G12 kts out of the SW. The wind stayed up until
      after dark when I measured a steady 12 kts. The wind was nice and even
      with no sudden gusts or turbulence.

      My first impressions of the Machine are favorable. The kite was very
      well behaved in the air. It would fly overhead hands off no problem.
      It also was very flyable in the lulls, and did not fold up or fall out
      of the sky. It was easy to keep it flying until the wind kicked up
      again. It sits back in the wind window in a lull, and never overflew
      me, like my Wipika tends to do.

      Out in the water, I was somewhat disappointed with the supposed light
      wind weapon. I was not able to really get going on my 6'6" directional
      board. The kite was very slow to come over the top for a start, even
      with the bar turned 90 degrees, so it had no power there. By the time
      the kite started pulling on the down stroke, it was time to pull it up
      again. And it would back off in the bottom turn too, So even if I got
      up initially, I would just sink down again. I tried every combination
      of center lines in/out, fifth line in a few inches, bar in/out, but
      only got up once in a puff.

      It seems like the 20.5 Machine does not pull as hard as my 20.8 Wipika
      Hydro. Now this is a subjective judgement based on only one session,
      so I may not have figured it out yet. And it may also be that the
      Machine is flying in lighter winds where the Wipika would fall out of
      the sky. But with the Wipika, I got power over the top, so I could get
      up on the board before I got going. The Wipika also came with a bigger
      bar, so this probably makes a difference too.

      I'm 245 lbs, and an "advanced beginner". My kite skills are good, but
      I'm still working on the board skills. I've been doing this regularly
      for a year now, and had a few lessons during that time. Can anyone
      give me some pointers on what to try next time?