Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Need a kite buddy

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
      High aspect ratio kites are a real pain to water
      relaunch when the leading edge is down. The key is
      getting the kite to roll over on its back and at the
      same time to position yourself to one side or the
      other so that the kite will begin to move to the edge
      of the wind window. You can hold the bar over your
      head behind you as far as possible and then as you
      push the bar forward, swim towards the kite either to
      the right or the left side. Don't forget to position
      the bar accordingly depending on which side you swim
      to.

      If the winds are light and that does not work try
      pulling in one of the front lines about 3 meters (the
      back lines don't work so good). Then let it go and
      swim toward the kite to the right or left
      side(depending on which of the front lines you pulled
      in) to get it to roll over on its back and go to one
      side of the wind window. I've had much experience
      water relaunching a 21.5m Cabrihna Black Tip which is
      a high aspect kite. Because it is so hard to water
      relaunch, I've learned what not to do that causes it
      to "Hindenburg" or fall out of the sky. One of the
      things to avoid is flying the kite at the zenith for
      any length of time in light inconsistent winds. Some
      kites tend to overfly in the gusts and then fall out
      of the sky. Keeping the kite at 60 degrees helps to
      avoid this. Hopes this helps.

      Cheers,
      George

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
        Brilliant

        Thought there was something wrong with a couple of my kites that
        seemed to whip to zenith then decided to say "HI" real close up
        like :oP... Flexifoil Strike 9mtr and Slingshot Fuel seemed worse for
        this.... oh the 25mtr V4 once did this, and that WAS scarey seeing
        this monster rollocking down streight towards me. Bless :o)

        Mark

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris