Re: Need a kite buddy

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
      Cheers Matey....

      Someone posted this:::::
      Subject: w/2005punchout bar:how to flip kite when LE down?

      I have your punchout 2005 bar on my 4line kite. when
      the kite crashes LE down, when i swim towards the
      kite,the lines remain taut (tight) since i'm still
      hooked in (spinning leash is on too). i think the
      lines need slack in them for the kite to roll over
      downwind but it's now possible. am i suppose to unhook
      (thus spinning leash is not on) and swim with the bar
      in my hand towards the kite (thus lines will get some
      slack) ? if so, i run the risk that the kite will
      launch and my arm strength must be able NOT to let go
      of the bar or i will lose the kite.

      Thanks
      Daniel.
      :::::

      Ive done quite a bit of water draggin' getting ready for my boarding,
      and found this also, found that with LE down even swiming towards it
      sometimes wasnt enough to let it flip over. What I would do is pull
      hard on one side of the lines and kind of drag it towards me
      sideways, about a 1/4 of the way back to me (watch your fingers
      though) then let go. After doing this about three hundred times you
      sometimes get lucky.

      Waiting for input from the goorooz :o)

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kitepower Sydney" <sydney@k...>

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
        High aspect ratio kites are a real pain to water
        relaunch when the leading edge is down. The key is
        getting the kite to roll over on its back and at the
        same time to position yourself to one side or the
        other so that the kite will begin to move to the edge
        of the wind window. You can hold the bar over your
        head behind you as far as possible and then as you
        push the bar forward, swim towards the kite either to
        the right or the left side. Don't forget to position
        the bar accordingly depending on which side you swim
        to.

        If the winds are light and that does not work try
        pulling in one of the front lines about 3 meters (the
        back lines don't work so good). Then let it go and
        swim toward the kite to the right or left
        side(depending on which of the front lines you pulled
        in) to get it to roll over on its back and go to one
        side of the wind window. I've had much experience
        water relaunching a 21.5m Cabrihna Black Tip which is
        a high aspect kite. Because it is so hard to water
        relaunch, I've learned what not to do that causes it
        to "Hindenburg" or fall out of the sky. One of the
        things to avoid is flying the kite at the zenith for
        any length of time in light inconsistent winds. Some
        kites tend to overfly in the gusts and then fall out
        of the sky. Keeping the kite at 60 degrees helps to
        avoid this. Hopes this helps.

        Cheers,
        George

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
          Brilliant

          Thought there was something wrong with a couple of my kites that
          seemed to whip to zenith then decided to say "HI" real close up
          like :oP... Flexifoil Strike 9mtr and Slingshot Fuel seemed worse for
          this.... oh the 25mtr V4 once did this, and that WAS scarey seeing
          this monster rollocking down streight towards me. Bless :o)

          Mark

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris