RE: [ksurfschool] Need a kite buddy

  • Kitepower Sydney
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2005
      G'day Mark

      Go to the places where you know people kitesurf, hang out there, help the
      locals launch and land, have an esky with some cold beers in it for an after
      kite get to know a couple of locals session.
      You are more likely to meet a reliable kite buddy there, or the locals will
      take you under their wing.
      Good on you for asking here though, because there is no harm in asking a
      question, ever! :-)

      www.kitepower.com.au

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
        Cheers Matey....

        Someone posted this:::::
        Subject: w/2005punchout bar:how to flip kite when LE down?

        I have your punchout 2005 bar on my 4line kite. when
        the kite crashes LE down, when i swim towards the
        kite,the lines remain taut (tight) since i'm still
        hooked in (spinning leash is on too). i think the
        lines need slack in them for the kite to roll over
        downwind but it's now possible. am i suppose to unhook
        (thus spinning leash is not on) and swim with the bar
        in my hand towards the kite (thus lines will get some
        slack) ? if so, i run the risk that the kite will
        launch and my arm strength must be able NOT to let go
        of the bar or i will lose the kite.

        Thanks
        Daniel.
        :::::

        Ive done quite a bit of water draggin' getting ready for my boarding,
        and found this also, found that with LE down even swiming towards it
        sometimes wasnt enough to let it flip over. What I would do is pull
        hard on one side of the lines and kind of drag it towards me
        sideways, about a 1/4 of the way back to me (watch your fingers
        though) then let go. After doing this about three hundred times you
        sometimes get lucky.

        Waiting for input from the goorooz :o)

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kitepower Sydney" <sydney@k...>
        wrote:
        > G'day Mark
        >
        > Go to the places where you know people kitesurf, hang out there,
        help the
        > locals launch and land, have an esky with some cold beers in it for
        an after
        > kite get to know a couple of locals session.
        > You are more likely to meet a reliable kite buddy there, or the
        locals will
        > take you under their wing.
        > Good on you for asking here though, because there is no harm in
        asking a
        > question, ever! :-)
        >
        > Cya and
        > Goodwinds
        >
        > Steve McCormack
        > www.kitepower.com.au
        >

        > _____

        subject=Unsubscribe>

        Service
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        >

        > _____

        > http://www.eset.com

      • George Sarris
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
          High aspect ratio kites are a real pain to water
          relaunch when the leading edge is down. The key is
          getting the kite to roll over on its back and at the
          same time to position yourself to one side or the
          other so that the kite will begin to move to the edge
          of the wind window. You can hold the bar over your
          head behind you as far as possible and then as you
          push the bar forward, swim towards the kite either to
          the right or the left side. Don't forget to position
          the bar accordingly depending on which side you swim
          to.

          If the winds are light and that does not work try
          pulling in one of the front lines about 3 meters (the
          back lines don't work so good). Then let it go and
          swim toward the kite to the right or left
          side(depending on which of the front lines you pulled
          in) to get it to roll over on its back and go to one
          side of the wind window. I've had much experience
          water relaunching a 21.5m Cabrihna Black Tip which is
          a high aspect kite. Because it is so hard to water
          relaunch, I've learned what not to do that causes it
          to "Hindenburg" or fall out of the sky. One of the
          things to avoid is flying the kite at the zenith for
          any length of time in light inconsistent winds. Some
          kites tend to overfly in the gusts and then fall out
          of the sky. Keeping the kite at 60 degrees helps to
          avoid this. Hopes this helps.

          Cheers,
          George

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
            Brilliant

            Thought there was something wrong with a couple of my kites that
            seemed to whip to zenith then decided to say "HI" real close up
            like :oP... Flexifoil Strike 9mtr and Slingshot Fuel seemed worse for
            this.... oh the 25mtr V4 once did this, and that WAS scarey seeing
            this monster rollocking down streight towards me. Bless :o)

            Mark

            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris