trainer kite

  • Nathan Sanchez
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2005
      Hello all! I bought a four line 1.4m trainer kite and am learning
      fairly well how to fly it. My question is, how close is this to flying
      a "real" kitesurfing kite? This past weekend I took it to the beach
      had much better result than here in town on a soccer field. Thanks!

      Nathan
    • Iain Wood
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 21, 2005
        On 21 Apr 2005, at 00:37, Nathan Sanchez wrote:

        > Hello all! I bought a four line 1.4m trainer kite and am learning
        > fairly well how to fly it. My question is, how close is this to flying
        > a "real" kitesurfing kite?

        Well, you can do pretty much anything with a 1.4m and it wont bite.
        Well not much... You will need to learn a lot more respect for a full
        size kite. Like don't swing it across the power zone while you are
        still standing on the beach, and launch it with a lot more care. The
        skills you have learnt will be useful though. A full size kite will
        actually be easier to fly because it will be slower and more
        predictable. I would still recommend taking a lesson rather than just
        going out and buying something big.

        > This past weekend I took it to the beach
        > had much better result than here in town on a soccer field. Thanks!

        Inland winds are usually a mess. All that turbulence from trees,
        buildings and hills. You get much cleaner winds at the beach, as long
        as they aren't blowing offshore.

        Iain