Re: Learning on Land

  • Doug Haluza
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2005
      After taking lessons, I bought a 6m kite and spent a lot of time with
      it in the water. Did lots of downwind body drags too. Even got lofted
      on the 6m once, and I weighed 275 at the time. So you can get into
      trouble with any size kite. The smaller kites can get you in trouble
      even faster because they are so agile--you just need a lot more wind
      to really screw up. Just keep it in the car when the sand starts
      blowing across the beach.

      If you are learning to work the kite, you are better off with a
      smaller one. Small and meduim sizes seem to need about the same wind
      speed just to fly. You only need the extra pull when you are riding
      the board. I would recommend using a kite no more than 1/2 the size
      people are riding on a given day when you are just flying it or body
      dragging. That will still be enough kite to pull you out of the water
      on a downwind body drag if you work the kite in the power zone. And
      do it in the water, not on land, with side onshore winds only. It
      hurts a lot less.

      If you're flying from land because the water is too cold for you now,
      get a dry suit (Bare Polar Heat is highly recommended). We've been
      going out regularly here on Long Island, NY in 34F/1C water for the
      past few months, and it's no problem at all if you're dressed
      properly (and the air is >28F/-2C so no sea water freezing). The
      beaches are deserted, so no worries with bystanders. Just no way to
      get an instructor out again until later in the spring. Make sure you
      have a buddy, though.

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, patrick martin