Learning on Land

  • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2005
      Whatever you do; do not learn to fly with a 14 mtr kite
      on land. My advice is to get lessons from a pro or
      someone with lots of experience. You will not believe
      how fast things can happen with a 14 mtr; and most of them
      are not good.

      Bob Beach
    • patrick martin
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2005
        then which kite do we learn on

        chandler@... wrote:Whatever you do; do not learn to fly with a 14 mtr kite
        on land. My advice is to get lessons from a pro or
        someone with lots of experience. You will not believe
        how fast things can happen with a 14 mtr; and most of them
        are not good.

        Bob Beach

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Doug Haluza
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 21, 2005
          After taking lessons, I bought a 6m kite and spent a lot of time with
          it in the water. Did lots of downwind body drags too. Even got lofted
          on the 6m once, and I weighed 275 at the time. So you can get into
          trouble with any size kite. The smaller kites can get you in trouble
          even faster because they are so agile--you just need a lot more wind
          to really screw up. Just keep it in the car when the sand starts
          blowing across the beach.

          If you are learning to work the kite, you are better off with a
          smaller one. Small and meduim sizes seem to need about the same wind
          speed just to fly. You only need the extra pull when you are riding
          the board. I would recommend using a kite no more than 1/2 the size
          people are riding on a given day when you are just flying it or body
          dragging. That will still be enough kite to pull you out of the water
          on a downwind body drag if you work the kite in the power zone. And
          do it in the water, not on land, with side onshore winds only. It
          hurts a lot less.

          If you're flying from land because the water is too cold for you now,
          get a dry suit (Bare Polar Heat is highly recommended). We've been
          going out regularly here on Long Island, NY in 34F/1C water for the
          past few months, and it's no problem at all if you're dressed
          properly (and the air is >28F/-2C so no sea water freezing). The
          beaches are deserted, so no worries with bystanders. Just no way to
          get an instructor out again until later in the spring. Make sure you
          have a buddy, though.

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, patrick martin