Trainer kites

  • lilguyp
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
      I am a absolute beginner - not even, I'm thinking about it. My
      question is: Since the first step in learning how to kiteboard is
      learning how to fly a traction kite, does it make sense for me to buy
      a trainer kite and fly it for a while? If it did make sense, what is
      a good trainer kite? I've read about Sling Shot's Wasp and B-series
      as good training kites - I'm sure there are others. Last question
      and it may be ridiculous - can I learn to fly these kites in an open
      field/park provided there is enough wind? Are there restrictions on
      flying these kites - I'm talking above and beyond flying them near
      people, power lines, trees, roads, etc.

      Thanks,
      Guy
    • Cal Bode
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
        Trainer kites are helpful. They help you learn how to
        fly your kite before you're ready to fly the big one.
        Unfortunately after you fly learn to fly the big ones,
        the smaller ones aren't as useful. I have a used air
        rush 3m that I'd sell to you for $95 including
        shipping. It's in good shape and taught me how to fly
        the kite without lessons.

        Generally there are no real restrictions. It's as if
        you are flying a regular kite. You're going to need
        to go to a Park or other open area as the lines are
        long.

        Cal
        --- lilguyp <gpisani@...> wrote:

        > I am a absolute beginner - not even, I'm thinking
        > about it. My
        > question is: Since the first step in learning how
        > to kiteboard is
        > learning how to fly a traction kite, does it make
        > sense for me to buy
        > a trainer kite and fly it for a while? If it did
        > make sense, what is
        > a good trainer kite? I've read about Sling Shot's
        > Wasp and B-series
        > as good training kites - I'm sure there are others.
        > Last question
        > and it may be ridiculous - can I learn to fly these
        > kites in an open
        > field/park provided there is enough wind? Are there
        > restrictions on
        > flying these kites - I'm talking above and beyond
        > flying them near
        > people, power lines, trees, roads, etc.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Guy

        The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
        http://my.yahoo.com
      • kennywek@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
          Guy,

          I have a traiing kite that I don't use anymore. If you're interested in
          buying it, I'll pull it out and quote you a price.

          Bill

          kennywek@...

        • Pam S.
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
            Hi Guy

            Two years ago my wife and I learned how to fly on a 3.5m concept air kite. She still uses it as her everyday kite and I will even use it in high winds when a small kite is lots of power.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2005
              don't by a trainer kite. Take a lesson instead. You'll out grow the trainer
              in an hour!
              Take a lesson. learn the right way!
              Phil Burke

              Please note my NEW e-mail address for all
              future correspondence!

              _remtgnow@..._ (http://remtgnow@.../)