Please Read This was Re: Four Clobbered By Cold Front

  • flkitesurfer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2005
      There is more to kiteboarding than rigging, riding and throwing
      tricks. A critical area is weather, what is forecast, what is going
      off now and what is heading in. Some ideas on one approach dealing
      with kiteboarding and cold fronts with emphasis on the SE USA, appear
      below. What do you use and how does it work?

      Some of this may apply to other areas then again there is a whole
      world of variable weather out there. You still may get caught and
      slammed, as can always happen if you have a traction kite up, but it
      should reduce the odds of a predicted event getting the better of you.
      There are similar sites and resources in other parts of the world.
      Learn what is available and reliable in your area.

      1. Check forecasts on http://nws.noaa.gov/ for your area.

      Are they going to change, is there a hazardous weather warning, be
      sure to check the marine forecast if you are in marine waters. What
      are temperatures likely to be? It may be fine now but do you need to
      be in a 4/3 mm wetsuit later on today? Read the weather analysis to
      better understand what is bringing the wind in the first place.

      2. Checkout the Sat. imagery at: http://nws.noaa.gov/sat_tab.php

      Some nice animated, color enhanced Sat. images appear at:
      http://weather.sun-sentinel.com/tropical/ for Florida and the Caribbean
      and at the following link for the rest of the USA:
      http://weather.sun-sentinel.com/maps.asp?Region=SE

      Be sure to use the loop function to get a feeling for movement and
      obvious development. Click in on your area to get a better picture of
      local activity. Is there a line of clouds at the leading edge of the
      front or no?

      3. Checkout color radar to look for CURRENT storm cells and direction
      of travel of clouds at: http://nws.noaa.gov/radar_tab.php

      Be sure to scope out your area and areas up stream through which the
      cold front is moving. See some bright colored stuff? Is it fairly
      narrow at the leading edge of the front or is it all over? Avoid the
      brightly colored stuff as it can represent violent storms. The green
      stuff can also punch out some gusts to, enough to loft you so don't
      get complacent about that color either. Remember, JUST because you
      don't see storm indications when you're on the computer, doesn't mean
      that they won't develop later on in the day. Know what to look for in
      the way of weather signs and stay aware before launch up to when you
      land and secure.

      Most of the time sudden wind comes with some form of visible weather,
      clouds, etc.. There are less common cases, around here anyway, where
      the wind strikes out of the clear blue, literally. Learn about your
      local weather extremes, this is an important homework assignment.
      Relate what you are seeing to what appears on the Sat. image.

      4. Checkout realtime winds at: http://www.ikitesurf.com/

      Look over your area and those areas that are under the front already.
      Look at the individual wind records for stations to see if there are
      some strong gust spikes and direction changes such as shown above. If
      there are also violent direction changes and gust spikes note that as
      well. Try to relate these unstable winds to what you saw in the Sat.
      and radar images. Are you dealing with a narrow strip of unstable
      weather with a wet front or is it more of a sudden boost in wind with
      a dry front?

      5. While you're at the beach, keep your eyes open for signs of the
      onset of frontal winds. ALWAYS be aware of the wind, clouds, white
      caps, direction, gusts, etc., regardless of season. It will help you
      to get the better rides and perhaps avoid a bad go to.

      It is best to AVOID having a kite up during the onset of a front with
      associated change in winds. Of course not all fronts are kick butt,
      so what kind do you KNOW FOR A FACT you have moving in? Who knows for
      sure, it is best to err on the side of caution. If you see signs of a
      front coming, advancing white water, cloud masses, a ripple line, etc.
      It might be good to land and secure until it is past. Of course with
      ripple and white water lines, by the time you see them you may have
      less than few minutes before the winds spike. ALSO, you may need to
      RIG DOWN to be able to ride once and if the frontal winds spike up.
      You don't want to have too large a kite up as the four guys did at the
      start of this post when the wind jumps up.

      Check this stuff before you ride, always. Learn to relate what you
      saw online vs. what developed at the beach.

      If you want to get a better idea of things also checkout the weather
      maps at: http://nws.noaa.gov/outlook_tab.php

      Sounds complicated? Not really, you can blast through the steps
      listed above fairly rapidly. Too complex, well most riders I know are
      wind junkies and knowing what brings the blow stuff is just another
      part of the obsession. So why not dive in and get a handle on what
      brings the joy and the dodgy bits that need to be avoided.

      Get plugged into weather where you ride. You will be glad you did.
      Being able to predict when the winds will turn on with a coming front
      is a very good thing. It sure beats wind waiting all day at the beach.

      There is a lot to know to kiteboard, some of the stuff listed above is
      just part of it.

      Some more info on fronts appears at:
      http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/wwhlpr/front_hyd.rxml?hret=/guides/mtr/cld/cld\
      typ/home.rxml&prv=1

      http://ravel.esrin.esa.it/docs/edumsg_en_05.pdf

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Iossi" <flkitesurfer@h...> wrote:
      > "A powerful cold front was predicted to move into Southern Florida
      bringing
      > strong winds 30 to 35 mph out of the Northwest yesterday, (Sunday,
      Jan. 23,
      > 2005).
      >
      > (figure omitted)
      >
      > Lots of riders had been following the forecast for several days in
      advance.
      > An experienced rider had just arrived at the beach at about 9:00 am.
      The
      > launch was on the west coast of Florida. He noticed a line of black
      clouds
      > moving in from the NW. He assumed that this was the leading edge of
      the long
      > awaited cold front. He noticed four young guys out on the water ranging
      > approximately 15 to 18 years old, on 12 to 15 m kites with a max.
      weight of