Re: [ksurfschool] Digest Number 1193

  • Chris Cowart
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2005
      George,

      Thanks for the summary and tips. To some extent, I have experimented
      with each of those factors.

      When I try to bring the kite backwards to start, I dive it
      aggressively, but have two bad habits:
      - i tend to dive too low and bring it up, killing power
      - i will try to head the board upwind too quickly rather than getting
      fully planing before trimming upwind

      On diving, do you use positive, negative steering, or both?

      Can't wait to get back in the water here in SF bay.

      Thanks, Chris

      On Jan 12, 2005, at 6:55 PM, ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > There is 1 message in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Re: How to fly the kite in the correct position
      > From: George Sarris <jakefarley2000@...>

      > _
      > _
      >
      > Message: 1
      > Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:26:37 -0800 (PST)
      > From: George Sarris <jakefarley2000@...>
      > Subject: Re: How to fly the kite in the correct position
      >
      > The following factors apply:
      >
      > 1. wind speed
      > 2. kite size
      > 3. board size
      > 4. rider/kiter weight
      >
      > Any one can result in an underpowered situation which
      > can be frustrating. If you have sufficient power to
      > stay upwind, albeit slow, you are doing fine. If you
      > want more speed or power, you need an increase in #1
      > or #2 above or bear off and go downwind. With regard
      > to water starting in lighter winds, I usually start
      > off in the chicken loop and bring the kite backwards
      > 20 degrees off zenith (2 o-clock if you are going to
      > your left) and then dive the kite while aiming my
      > board downwind. I pull in on the bar after diving the
      > kite to increase the angle of attack producing more
      > power. Once I have sufficient power, I ease out the
      > bar to get the kite the the edge of the window and
      > edge the board so I can stay upwind. I usually never
      > hook into the harness lines on the bar, only the
      > chicken loop. The kite will fly upwind faster on the
      > front lines which produces more power with faster
      > turning.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      > George
      > --- Chris Cowart <cowartc@...> wrote:
      >
      >> This question applies to water start and normal
      >> flying...
      >>
      >> I use a Naish bar with chicken hook and harness
      >> line. I often dive the
      >> kite [in the chicken loop only] unhooked from the
      >> harness loop put with
      >> hand pressure on the bar. Even if I start the dive
      >> with a turn
      >> backwards, it seems that the kite ends up too close
      >> the wind window
      >> edge and with not much initial power. On the plus
      >> side, it seems to
      >> put me in a setup that I go upwind, but not
      >> superfast.
      >>
      >> I've tried:
      >> - diving in both harness loop and chicken loop
      >> - slight backward move before diving
      >>
      >> Any thoughts to get me more on a plane and more
      >> power?

      > http://my.yahoo.com

      > _

      > -

    • George Sarris
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2005
        Chris,
        To be honest, I am not familiar with positive or
        negative steering. However, I failed to mention that
        on the upstroke of the kite I push the bar away from
        me depowering the kite so that it flys faster upward.
        Otherwise I find that it loses speed and power flying
        upward. This mostly happens with my largest
        kite(21.5m) when I am way underpowered as it is a very
        slow moving kite. When I have to sine the kite to
        keep powered up, on the downstroke of the kite I pull
        in on the bar and on the upstroke ease the bar out.
        If I cannot stay upwind, I usually come in as where I
        kiteboard there is not a long beach where I can go
        downwind and easily walk back upwind along the beach.

        George

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Kitepower (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2005
          Hi Chris
          I have been involved in teraching people to fly kites and kitesurfing instruction for around 12 years, I have never heard of positive or negative steering?
          What do you mean by this?
          Did someone teach you about positive or negative steering?

          I suspect that your terminology is out of whack with what is commonly used, thats all.

          Most people refer to pulling the bar towards you as sheeting in, and pushing it away as sheeting out. This is not steering the kite though it is just adjusting the kites angle of attack by altering the relative lengths of the front to rear lines.

          You are not really "Bringing the kite backwards" either, unless the kite is so baldy tuned that you can actually fly it backwards?

          As George said, pull in on the bar as the kite flies towards the water or down, then release that pressure just before the bottom of the down stroke and turn the kite upwards, tightly, and then push the bar away until the kite is accelerating upwards, as it speeds up you can pull back on the bar a bit more, getting ready to turn the kite tightly to make another downstroke.

          Point the board downwind until you are fully planing

          Practice going out in a bit more wind?

          www.kitepower.com.au