Re: [ksurfschool] How to fly the kite in the correct position

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2005
      The following factors apply:

      1. wind speed
      2. kite size
      3. board size
      4. rider/kiter weight

      Any one can result in an underpowered situation which
      can be frustrating. If you have sufficient power to
      stay upwind, albeit slow, you are doing fine. If you
      want more speed or power, you need an increase in #1
      or #2 above or bear off and go downwind. With regard
      to water starting in lighter winds, I usually start
      off in the chicken loop and bring the kite backwards
      20 degrees off zenith (2 o-clock if you are going to
      your left) and then dive the kite while aiming my
      board downwind. I pull in on the bar after diving the
      kite to increase the angle of attack producing more
      power. Once I have sufficient power, I ease out the
      bar to get the kite the the edge of the window and
      edge the board so I can stay upwind. I usually never
      hook into the harness lines on the bar, only the
      chicken loop. The kite will fly upwind faster on the
      front lines which produces more power with faster
      turning.

      Hope this helps,
      George

      http://my.yahoo.com