Re: [ksurfschool] Buying First Kite - Help needed!

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 10, 2005
      It's is amazing how simple a 4 lines LEI kite is and how "invincible" it
      is. There is no other kitesurfing kites (or kites in general) where one
      can simply attach 4 lines to the kite itself (not bridle) and be able to
      fly, steer and change the AOA of the kite. Remember that Peter Lynn
      simply copied the LEI concept to a foil (this action from Peter actually
      has given incredible respect to Bruno's invention).

      I kited using 2 lines LEI kites long time ago (too long to remember ;-)
      and the kite used to flip over itself and the bridle making it is
      impossible to kite anymore. This is is not a problem with 4 line LEIs
      as everyone knows. No matter how the kite turns and toses, one can
      always kite.

      So I back up Steve's comments about learning on a conventional 4 lines
      LEI for now until you really need 5th line. (you will know when you need
      it).

      P.S., Someone has mentioned to me that 5th line, element, dimension or
      whatsoever is a "kite killer", but that is another story...

      Hung.

      Kitepower (Sydney) wrote:

      >G'day Stephen
      >Sure the 2 or more stores advise on different gear, but they should be
      >recommending similar sizes?
      >What have they suggested?
      >The only advice I could give you regarding North or Naish style 5th
      >element/shift 5th line systems, is avoid them for now, and learn how to
      >re-launch a kite in the conventional/normal way. Your lessons should include how
      >to re-launch the normal way, and then you need to go away and practice that a
      >couple of dozen times before venturing near those brands, systems.
      >If you just fit a full length 5th line, then that does not have the issue of the
      >satety leash not working if there are several spins in the centre line like on
      >the North or Naish systems.
      >There is a degree of hype/gimmic promotion involved in the 2 systems mentioned,
      >what is being overlooked is the danger of spins preventing the leash from
      >working properly.
      >

      >Cya and
      >Goodwinds
      >Steve McCormack
      >www.kitepower.com.au

    • stephen9637
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 10, 2005
        Thanks for the replys - this is very useful.
        Both stores suggested the same kite size (14m).

        So if the 5th Element system is not for me is there anything else I
        should look out for - Other brands suggested include Oceon Rodeo and
        Naish.

        Again many thanks

        Stephen

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kitepower \(Sydney\)"
        <sydney@k...> wrote:
        > G'day Stephen
        > Sure the 2 or more stores advise on different gear, but they
        should be recommending similar sizes?
        > What have they suggested?
        > The only advice I could give you regarding North or Naish style
        5th element/shift 5th line systems, is avoid them for now, and learn
        how to re-launch a kite in the conventional/normal way. Your lessons
        should include how to re-launch the normal way, and then you need to
        go away and practice that a couple of dozen times before venturing
        near those brands, systems.
        > If you just fit a full length 5th line, then that does not have
        the issue of the satety leash not working if there are several spins
        in the centre line like on the North or Naish systems.
        > There is a degree of hype/gimmic promotion involved in the 2
        systems mentioned, what is being overlooked is the danger of spins
        preventing the leash from working properly.

        > Cya and
        > Goodwinds
        > Steve McCormack
        > www.kitepower.com.au

      • Kitepower (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 10, 2005
          The Naish Boxer is a good place to start, but OR make decent kites too.
          If you weigh in the vicinity of 85kg+ and get winds averaging 10 to 25 knots the 14M is a good size to start with.

          www.kitepower.com.au

          <sydney@k...> wrote:
          > G'day Stephen
          > Sure the 2 or more stores advise on different gear, but they
          should be recommending similar sizes?
          > What have they suggested?
          > The only advice I could give you regarding North or Naish style
          5th element/shift 5th line systems, is avoid them for now, and learn
          how to re-launch a kite in the conventional/normal way. Your lessons
          should include how to re-launch the normal way, and then you need to
          go away and practice that a couple of dozen times before venturing
          near those brands, systems.
          > If you just fit a full length 5th line, then that does not have
          the issue of the satety leash not working if there are several spins
          in the centre line like on the North or Naish systems.
          > There is a degree of hype/gimmic promotion involved in the 2
          systems mentioned, what is being overlooked is the danger of spins
          preventing the leash from working properly.

          > Cya and
          > Goodwinds
          > Steve McCormack
          > www.kitepower.com.au

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 17, 2005
            Hey guys,
            I just got my kite boarding equipment and tried to get
            up on the board...whuile being pulled by a
            boat...unfortunately, it didn't work...Yeah, even this
            time of the year we have once in a while decent
            weather in NC (80 degrees :-)
            Should I bend my knees and have the knees touch my
            chest? Would that help? I try to get sufficient on teh
            board before I try the board kite
            combination...anybody?

            FF

            http://my.yahoo.com
          • jakob Thegerström
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 17, 2005
              up on the board...whuile being pulled by a
              boat...

              Hi Frank!
              Was you pulled by a boat like wakeboarding?! In one
              way this is much more difficult as you got only
              horizontal pull. You should learn it with a kite that
              give you pull at ~30-45 degrees... much easier to get
              up on the board...

              god luck!
              Jakob
            • Kitepower (Sydney)
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 17, 2005
                Hi Frank
                It helps a bit in that you would be familiar with how your board will feel, BUT the main skill you need to MASTER in kiteboarding is KITE CONTROL! Focus on that first and foremost and you will learn quickly.
                Get lessons if you need them.
                Always point a board at the source of the traction (kite) until planing and then steer/edge away from the source (kite) once on a steady plane to gain control over your board speed and direction.

                www.kitepower.com.au

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 20, 2005
                  now that is an idea :-)
                  I will, thanks a bunch!
                  Got to wait until March Though...too cold :-)

                  FF

                  --- jakob Thegerstr�m <jakobjth@...> wrote:

                  > up on the board...whuile being pulled by a
                  > boat...
                  >
                  > Hi Frank!
                  > Was you pulled by a boat like wakeboarding?! In one
                  > way this is much more difficult as you got only
                  > horizontal pull. You should learn it with a kite
                  > that
                  > give you pull at ~30-45 degrees... much easier to
                  > get
                  > up on the board...
                  >
                  > god luck!
                  > Jakob

                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                • jakob Thegerström
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 20, 2005
                    if you can train waterstarts with wakeboarding it'll
                    help you a lot for kitesurfing, but isn't that a
                    little bit too cold also ;)

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/6iY7fA/5WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/jacolB/TM