Buying First Kite - Help needed!

  • stephen9637
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 10, 2005
      I am looking to buy me first Kite. I have had a lesson and will be
      having another before purchasing a kite. I have been advised by
      different stores to (not surprisingly) buy different equipment.

      One thing I am considering is the North Vegas. This appeals to me as
      it has the "5th Element" string which apparently makes water
      relaunch much simplier.

      Has anyone has expierience with this and is this whole "5th Element"
      important or just a gimmic.

      Thanks in advance
    • Kitepower (Sydney)
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 10, 2005
        G'day Stephen
        Sure the 2 or more stores advise on different gear, but they should be recommending similar sizes?
        What have they suggested?
        The only advice I could give you regarding North or Naish style 5th element/shift 5th line systems, is avoid them for now, and learn how to re-launch a kite in the conventional/normal way. Your lessons should include how to re-launch the normal way, and then you need to go away and practice that a couple of dozen times before venturing near those brands, systems.
        If you just fit a full length 5th line, then that does not have the issue of the satety leash not working if there are several spins in the centre line like on the North or Naish systems.
        There is a degree of hype/gimmic promotion involved in the 2 systems mentioned, what is being overlooked is the danger of spins preventing the leash from working properly.

        www.kitepower.com.au

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 10, 2005
          It's is amazing how simple a 4 lines LEI kite is and how "invincible" it
          is. There is no other kitesurfing kites (or kites in general) where one
          can simply attach 4 lines to the kite itself (not bridle) and be able to
          fly, steer and change the AOA of the kite. Remember that Peter Lynn
          simply copied the LEI concept to a foil (this action from Peter actually
          has given incredible respect to Bruno's invention).

          I kited using 2 lines LEI kites long time ago (too long to remember ;-)
          and the kite used to flip over itself and the bridle making it is
          impossible to kite anymore. This is is not a problem with 4 line LEIs
          as everyone knows. No matter how the kite turns and toses, one can
          always kite.

          So I back up Steve's comments about learning on a conventional 4 lines
          LEI for now until you really need 5th line. (you will know when you need
          it).

          P.S., Someone has mentioned to me that 5th line, element, dimension or
          whatsoever is a "kite killer", but that is another story...

          Hung.

          Kitepower (Sydney) wrote:

          >G'day Stephen
          >Sure the 2 or more stores advise on different gear, but they should be
          >recommending similar sizes?
          >What have they suggested?
          >The only advice I could give you regarding North or Naish style 5th
          >element/shift 5th line systems, is avoid them for now, and learn how to
          >re-launch a kite in the conventional/normal way. Your lessons should include how
          >to re-launch the normal way, and then you need to go away and practice that a
          >couple of dozen times before venturing near those brands, systems.
          >If you just fit a full length 5th line, then that does not have the issue of the
          >satety leash not working if there are several spins in the centre line like on
          >the North or Naish systems.
          >There is a degree of hype/gimmic promotion involved in the 2 systems mentioned,
          >what is being overlooked is the danger of spins preventing the leash from
          >working properly.
          >

          >Cya and
          >Goodwinds
          >Steve McCormack
          >www.kitepower.com.au

        • stephen9637
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 10, 2005
            Thanks for the replys - this is very useful.
            Both stores suggested the same kite size (14m).

            So if the 5th Element system is not for me is there anything else I
            should look out for - Other brands suggested include Oceon Rodeo and
            Naish.

            Again many thanks

            Stephen

            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kitepower \(Sydney\)"
            <sydney@k...> wrote:
            > G'day Stephen
            > Sure the 2 or more stores advise on different gear, but they
            should be recommending similar sizes?
            > What have they suggested?
            > The only advice I could give you regarding North or Naish style
            5th element/shift 5th line systems, is avoid them for now, and learn
            how to re-launch a kite in the conventional/normal way. Your lessons
            should include how to re-launch the normal way, and then you need to
            go away and practice that a couple of dozen times before venturing
            near those brands, systems.
            > If you just fit a full length 5th line, then that does not have
            the issue of the satety leash not working if there are several spins
            in the centre line like on the North or Naish systems.
            > There is a degree of hype/gimmic promotion involved in the 2
            systems mentioned, what is being overlooked is the danger of spins
            preventing the leash from working properly.

            > Cya and
            > Goodwinds
            > Steve McCormack
            > www.kitepower.com.au

          • Kitepower (Sydney)
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 10, 2005
              The Naish Boxer is a good place to start, but OR make decent kites too.
              If you weigh in the vicinity of 85kg+ and get winds averaging 10 to 25 knots the 14M is a good size to start with.

              www.kitepower.com.au

              <sydney@k...> wrote:
              > G'day Stephen
              > Sure the 2 or more stores advise on different gear, but they
              should be recommending similar sizes?
              > What have they suggested?
              > The only advice I could give you regarding North or Naish style
              5th element/shift 5th line systems, is avoid them for now, and learn
              how to re-launch a kite in the conventional/normal way. Your lessons
              should include how to re-launch the normal way, and then you need to
              go away and practice that a couple of dozen times before venturing
              near those brands, systems.
              > If you just fit a full length 5th line, then that does not have
              the issue of the satety leash not working if there are several spins
              in the centre line like on the North or Naish systems.
              > There is a degree of hype/gimmic promotion involved in the 2
              systems mentioned, what is being overlooked is the danger of spins
              preventing the leash from working properly.

              > Cya and
              > Goodwinds
              > Steve McCormack
              > www.kitepower.com.au

            • Frank
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 17, 2005
                Hey guys,
                I just got my kite boarding equipment and tried to get
                up on the board...whuile being pulled by a
                boat...unfortunately, it didn't work...Yeah, even this
                time of the year we have once in a while decent
                weather in NC (80 degrees :-)
                Should I bend my knees and have the knees touch my
                chest? Would that help? I try to get sufficient on teh
                board before I try the board kite
                combination...anybody?

                FF

                http://my.yahoo.com
              • jakob Thegerström
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 17, 2005
                  up on the board...whuile being pulled by a
                  boat...

                  Hi Frank!
                  Was you pulled by a boat like wakeboarding?! In one
                  way this is much more difficult as you got only
                  horizontal pull. You should learn it with a kite that
                  give you pull at ~30-45 degrees... much easier to get
                  up on the board...

                  god luck!
                  Jakob
                • Kitepower (Sydney)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 17, 2005
                    Hi Frank
                    It helps a bit in that you would be familiar with how your board will feel, BUT the main skill you need to MASTER in kiteboarding is KITE CONTROL! Focus on that first and foremost and you will learn quickly.
                    Get lessons if you need them.
                    Always point a board at the source of the traction (kite) until planing and then steer/edge away from the source (kite) once on a steady plane to gain control over your board speed and direction.

                    www.kitepower.com.au

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 20, 2005
                      now that is an idea :-)
                      I will, thanks a bunch!
                      Got to wait until March Though...too cold :-)

                      FF

                      --- jakob Thegerstr�m <jakobjth@...> wrote:

                      > up on the board...whuile being pulled by a
                      > boat...
                      >
                      > Hi Frank!
                      > Was you pulled by a boat like wakeboarding?! In one
                      > way this is much more difficult as you got only
                      > horizontal pull. You should learn it with a kite
                      > that
                      > give you pull at ~30-45 degrees... much easier to
                      > get
                      > up on the board...
                      >
                      > god luck!
                      > Jakob

                      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                    • jakob Thegerström
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 20, 2005
                        if you can train waterstarts with wakeboarding it'll
                        help you a lot for kitesurfing, but isn't that a
                        little bit too cold also ;)

                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/6iY7fA/5WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/jacolB/TM