Re: [ksurfschool] Sharing Kites

  • jakob Thegerström
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2004
      Of course you can share any kite with your husband but
      because you're a lot lighter your windrange will be
      different. I think the best thing is that you get at
      least 2 kites if you can afford it (maybe a 14 and a
      10), then the wind is medium strong you can both be on
      the water and then it's light you'll be able to use
      the 14 ;) (and then it's really strong wind your
      husband can go out with the 10).
      I think that a trainer kite is a good idee. I used a
      delta kite to learn the basics (it's better if you can
      get a small 4 line foil), still use it sometimes then
      the wind is too light for kitesurf. It's also great to
      have if people shows interest in the sport! If you got
      ice during the winter you can also use your trainer
      kite for iceskating!!

      /Jakob

      --- "Kitepower (Sydney)" <sydney@...>
      skrev:

      ---------------------------------
      All good advice there Steve, seriously. However there
      is often a discovery made when learning to kitesurf
      via a trainer kite?
      That discovery is that it is actually fun to fly a
      power kite like a trainer kite, just for the sake of
      it.
      You may not appreciate why, and that is fine, but mant
      men and women discover that flying a kite is actually
      very relaxing, because it is a form of exercise that
      requires ones full attention, in the process ones
      daily worries are blown away.
      Best make an awesome trainer kite, so do many
      companies. Better still get a real 4 lined power kite
      on a bar like an Ozone Samurai 2 or 3M, or a Flexifoil
      Bullet 2.5M

      Also the more a person has flown a trainer kite, the
      easier and quicker they learn in a real kitesurfing
      lesson, saves money in the end because the need less
      lessons, and thet still have a fun kite to fly when it
      is nuking, etc.

      www.kitepower.com.au

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2004
        Brian & Kimberly,

        I would also like to add the value of getting a trainer kite slightly
        larger, 3.6 sq. meters and being able to have a snow kite as well as
        a really nice fun trainer kite. 3.5 sq. meters will have more
        feedback(pull) and be perfect for doing training exercises. Most
        people have the mind set that a trainer kite is simply to teach you
        to fly the kite, but it has much more value than this.. You can do
        simulated riding exercises and simulated water start exercises on
        land with the kite to learn the dynamics of changing the power
        strokes of the kite and much more!!

        I highly suggest the Ballistic 3.6 quad line kite:
        http://www.4kiteboarding.com/trainkitpac.html There are also
        exercises on this page to practice with the trainer kite. In
        Michigan, I am assuming you have a great snow season and can use this
        kite for Snow Kiting in the winter!!

        You should get two kiteboarding kites as you will never be competing
        for the same kite size. Your 12.0 kite will become his high wind
        kite when you are overpowered, etc.

        Chris M. Moore
        Kitty Hawk Kites Kiteboarding Centers
        PASA examiner
        252-207-1639
        chris@...

        > Hi There
        > My husband and I are considering taking up this exciting newer
        sport,
        > but we have a few questions. First of all we live in Michigan on a
        > decent sized inland lake. Both of us have experience w/
        wakeboarding.
        > Here are my questions...
        > 1. Can we share a kite? There is about a 70lb differnce in weight
        and
        > 6" difference in height between the 2 of us. We were told to get a
        > 12m kite for me and a 14m kite for him- can we just get a 14m kite
        > and I can use it at a shorter line length?
        > 2. He has experience flying double handled kites, and is pretty
        good
        > at it. I have never flown a kite before. Is it totally necessary to
        > buy a trainer kite? If so, will we ever use it again after learning
        > the art of being out on the water w/ the real equipment?
        > 3. We live in Michigan and are going to be traveling to South
        Padre,
        > Texas in February where we are planning on trying the sport for the
        > first time. We want to take lessons- any suggestions on good but
        > affordable instructors or schools down there?
        >
        > Thanks so much!
      • ex_cpe
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Brian and Kimberly" <excelwithbrandkb@y...>
          wrote:

          > Hi There
          > My husband and I are considering taking up this exciting newer sport,
          > but we have a few questions. First of all we live in Michigan on a
          > decent sized inland lake. Both of us have experience w/ wakeboarding.
          > Here are my questions...
          > 1. Can we share a kite? There is about a 70lb differnce in weight and
          > 6" difference in height between the 2 of us. We were told to get a
          > 12m kite for me and a 14m kite for him- can we just get a 14m kite
          > and I can use it at a shorter line length?
          > 2. He has experience flying double handled kites, and is pretty good
          > at it. I have never flown a kite before. Is it totally necessary to
          > buy a trainer kite? If so, will we ever use it again after learning
          > the art of being out on the water w/ the real equipment?
          > 3. We live in Michigan and are going to be traveling to South Padre,
          > Texas in February where we are planning on trying the sport for the
          > first time. We want to take lessons- any suggestions on good but
          > affordable instructors or schools down there?
          >
          > Thanks so much!

          .........counterpoint to the instructors who basically only see people learning to walk the
          first time - when this is a running sport, and people who will fiddle their time away with
          little kites 'on the beach' (which happens to be THE single most dangerous place for us)
          I'd say; do not buy anything beyond a teeny little 2-line kite that you can give to some kid
          to play with later. Small kites, outside snow and landboards, are generally useless to most
          mortals.

          Focus completely on your trip to Padre...don't get sucked into those multi-kite 'deals'
          beforehand...and don't learn bad habits, like many of us did, in the backyard. There's
          plenty of good resources down there - one I'd look into is Jeff Howard. He's the ponytailed
          guy on the Boost instruction videos and probably one of the more honest guys in the
          trade. Google him to find the name of his shop. You'd also have a good instruction in any
          of a number of spots in Hatteras, but not in Feb - it's too frickin cold.

          Have fun - safely.

          Jim