RE: [ksurfschool] Sharing Kites

  • Sax, Steve, M.D.
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2004
      I've taken lessons from both South Padre Island Kiteboarding and
      Kiteboarding Inc; they're both excellent and recommended. Kiteboarding Inc
      goes out on a jetski with you while SPIK stays on shore...you'll learn
      quicker with Kiteboarding Inc, but the lessons may be more expensive. You
      will never (except to introduce other people to the sport) use your $100 +
      trainer kite after your initial learning period; kite skills are critical
      though. After your initial learning phase is over (two weeks -six months)
      assuming you are 130 and hubby is 200, you will use a 14m as your light wind
      kite (10-15mph) and he will use it in high winds only (22-30). I wouldn't
      buy anything until after your South Padre lessons. Have fun and good luck!
      --Steve

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2004
        All good advice there Steve, seriously. However there is often a discovery made when learning to kitesurf via a trainer kite?
        That discovery is that it is actually fun to fly a power kite like a trainer kite, just for the sake of it.
        You may not appreciate why, and that is fine, but mant men and women discover that flying a kite is actually very relaxing, because it is a form of exercise that requires ones full attention, in the process ones daily worries are blown away.
        Best make an awesome trainer kite, so do many companies. Better still get a real 4 lined power kite on a bar like an Ozone Samurai 2 or 3M, or a Flexifoil Bullet 2.5M

        Also the more a person has flown a trainer kite, the easier and quicker they learn in a real kitesurfing lesson, saves money in the end because the need less lessons, and thet still have a fun kite to fly when it is nuking, etc.

        www.kitepower.com.au

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Methodist. Leading Medicine. ***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*** This e-mail
        is the property of The Methodist Hospital and/or its relevant affiliates
        and may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of
        the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by
        others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
        authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender and
        delete all copies of the message. Thank you.

      • jakob Thegerström
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2004
          Of course you can share any kite with your husband but
          because you're a lot lighter your windrange will be
          different. I think the best thing is that you get at
          least 2 kites if you can afford it (maybe a 14 and a
          10), then the wind is medium strong you can both be on
          the water and then it's light you'll be able to use
          the 14 ;) (and then it's really strong wind your
          husband can go out with the 10).
          I think that a trainer kite is a good idee. I used a
          delta kite to learn the basics (it's better if you can
          get a small 4 line foil), still use it sometimes then
          the wind is too light for kitesurf. It's also great to
          have if people shows interest in the sport! If you got
          ice during the winter you can also use your trainer
          kite for iceskating!!

          /Jakob

          --- "Kitepower (Sydney)" <sydney@...>
          skrev:

          ---------------------------------
[...]

          to the most frequently asked questions.

          To unsubscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          To subscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294c4e7c/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=gr

          oups/S=1705100963:HM/EXP=1104441573/A=2455396/R=0/SIG=119u9qmi7/*http://smal
          lbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2455396/rand=234712487>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
          to:

          * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
          Yahoo! Terms of Service
          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Methodist. Leading Medicine. ***CONFIDENTIALITY
          NOTICE*** This e-mail
          is the property of The Methodist Hospital and/or its
          relevant affiliates
          and may contain confidential and privileged material
          for the sole use of
          the intended recipient(s). Any review, use,
          distribution or disclosure by
          others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
          intended recipient (or
          authorized to receive for the recipient), please
          contact the sender and
          delete all copies of the message. Thank you.

          removed]

          answers
          to the most frequently asked questions.

          To unsubscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          To subscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

          c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
          Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          answers
          to the most frequently asked questions.

          To unsubscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          To subscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Terms of Service.
        • kitesurfr
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2004
            Brian & Kimberly,

            I would also like to add the value of getting a trainer kite slightly
            larger, 3.6 sq. meters and being able to have a snow kite as well as
            a really nice fun trainer kite. 3.5 sq. meters will have more
            feedback(pull) and be perfect for doing training exercises. Most
            people have the mind set that a trainer kite is simply to teach you
            to fly the kite, but it has much more value than this.. You can do
            simulated riding exercises and simulated water start exercises on
            land with the kite to learn the dynamics of changing the power
            strokes of the kite and much more!!

            I highly suggest the Ballistic 3.6 quad line kite:
            http://www.4kiteboarding.com/trainkitpac.html There are also
            exercises on this page to practice with the trainer kite. In
            Michigan, I am assuming you have a great snow season and can use this
            kite for Snow Kiting in the winter!!

            You should get two kiteboarding kites as you will never be competing
            for the same kite size. Your 12.0 kite will become his high wind
            kite when you are overpowered, etc.

            Chris M. Moore
            Kitty Hawk Kites Kiteboarding Centers
            PASA examiner
            252-207-1639
            chris@...

            > Hi There
            > My husband and I are considering taking up this exciting newer
            sport,
            > but we have a few questions. First of all we live in Michigan on a
            > decent sized inland lake. Both of us have experience w/
            wakeboarding.
            > Here are my questions...
            > 1. Can we share a kite? There is about a 70lb differnce in weight
            and
            > 6" difference in height between the 2 of us. We were told to get a
            > 12m kite for me and a 14m kite for him- can we just get a 14m kite
            > and I can use it at a shorter line length?
            > 2. He has experience flying double handled kites, and is pretty
            good
            > at it. I have never flown a kite before. Is it totally necessary to
            > buy a trainer kite? If so, will we ever use it again after learning
            > the art of being out on the water w/ the real equipment?
            > 3. We live in Michigan and are going to be traveling to South
            Padre,
            > Texas in February where we are planning on trying the sport for the
            > first time. We want to take lessons- any suggestions on good but
            > affordable instructors or schools down there?
            >
            > Thanks so much!
          • ex_cpe
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
              --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Brian and Kimberly" <excelwithbrandkb@y...>
              wrote:

              > Hi There
              > My husband and I are considering taking up this exciting newer sport,
              > but we have a few questions. First of all we live in Michigan on a
              > decent sized inland lake. Both of us have experience w/ wakeboarding.
              > Here are my questions...
              > 1. Can we share a kite? There is about a 70lb differnce in weight and
              > 6" difference in height between the 2 of us. We were told to get a
              > 12m kite for me and a 14m kite for him- can we just get a 14m kite
              > and I can use it at a shorter line length?
              > 2. He has experience flying double handled kites, and is pretty good
              > at it. I have never flown a kite before. Is it totally necessary to
              > buy a trainer kite? If so, will we ever use it again after learning
              > the art of being out on the water w/ the real equipment?
              > 3. We live in Michigan and are going to be traveling to South Padre,
              > Texas in February where we are planning on trying the sport for the
              > first time. We want to take lessons- any suggestions on good but
              > affordable instructors or schools down there?
              >
              > Thanks so much!

              .........counterpoint to the instructors who basically only see people learning to walk the
              first time - when this is a running sport, and people who will fiddle their time away with
              little kites 'on the beach' (which happens to be THE single most dangerous place for us)
              I'd say; do not buy anything beyond a teeny little 2-line kite that you can give to some kid
              to play with later. Small kites, outside snow and landboards, are generally useless to most
              mortals.

              Focus completely on your trip to Padre...don't get sucked into those multi-kite 'deals'
              beforehand...and don't learn bad habits, like many of us did, in the backyard. There's
              plenty of good resources down there - one I'd look into is Jeff Howard. He's the ponytailed
              guy on the Boost instruction videos and probably one of the more honest guys in the
              trade. Google him to find the name of his shop. You'd also have a good instruction in any
              of a number of spots in Hatteras, but not in Feb - it's too frickin cold.

              Have fun - safely.

              Jim