Sharing Kites

  • Brian and Kimberly
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2004
      Hi There
      My husband and I are considering taking up this exciting newer sport,
      but we have a few questions. First of all we live in Michigan on a
      decent sized inland lake. Both of us have experience w/ wakeboarding.
      Here are my questions...
      1. Can we share a kite? There is about a 70lb differnce in weight and
      6" difference in height between the 2 of us. We were told to get a
      12m kite for me and a 14m kite for him- can we just get a 14m kite
      and I can use it at a shorter line length?
      2. He has experience flying double handled kites, and is pretty good
      at it. I have never flown a kite before. Is it totally necessary to
      buy a trainer kite? If so, will we ever use it again after learning
      the art of being out on the water w/ the real equipment?
      3. We live in Michigan and are going to be traveling to South Padre,
      Texas in February where we are planning on trying the sport for the
      first time. We want to take lessons- any suggestions on good but
      affordable instructors or schools down there?

      Thanks so much!
    • Sax, Steve, M.D.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2004
        I've taken lessons from both South Padre Island Kiteboarding and
        Kiteboarding Inc; they're both excellent and recommended. Kiteboarding Inc
        goes out on a jetski with you while SPIK stays on shore...you'll learn
        quicker with Kiteboarding Inc, but the lessons may be more expensive. You
        will never (except to introduce other people to the sport) use your $100 +
        trainer kite after your initial learning period; kite skills are critical
        though. After your initial learning phase is over (two weeks -six months)
        assuming you are 130 and hubby is 200, you will use a 14m as your light wind
        kite (10-15mph) and he will use it in high winds only (22-30). I wouldn't
        buy anything until after your South Padre lessons. Have fun and good luck!
        --Steve

[...]

        http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm
        <http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm> for the answers

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294c4e7c/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705100963:HM/EXP=1104441573/A=2455396/R=0/SIG=119u9qmi7/*http://smal
        lbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
        :HM/A=2455396/rand=234712487>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Methodist. Leading Medicine. ***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*** This e-mail
        is the property of The Methodist Hospital and/or its relevant affiliates
        and may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of
        the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by
        others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
        authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender and
        delete all copies of the message. Thank you.

      • Kitepower (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2004
          All good advice there Steve, seriously. However there is often a discovery made when learning to kitesurf via a trainer kite?
          That discovery is that it is actually fun to fly a power kite like a trainer kite, just for the sake of it.
          You may not appreciate why, and that is fine, but mant men and women discover that flying a kite is actually very relaxing, because it is a form of exercise that requires ones full attention, in the process ones daily worries are blown away.
          Best make an awesome trainer kite, so do many companies. Better still get a real 4 lined power kite on a bar like an Ozone Samurai 2 or 3M, or a Flexifoil Bullet 2.5M

          Also the more a person has flown a trainer kite, the easier and quicker they learn in a real kitesurfing lesson, saves money in the end because the need less lessons, and thet still have a fun kite to fly when it is nuking, etc.

          www.kitepower.com.au

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 29, 2004
            Of course you can share any kite with your husband but
            because you're a lot lighter your windrange will be
            different. I think the best thing is that you get at
            least 2 kites if you can afford it (maybe a 14 and a
            10), then the wind is medium strong you can both be on
            the water and then it's light you'll be able to use
            the 14 ;) (and then it's really strong wind your
            husband can go out with the 10).
            I think that a trainer kite is a good idee. I used a
            delta kite to learn the basics (it's better if you can
            get a small 4 line foil), still use it sometimes then
            the wind is too light for kitesurf. It's also great to
            have if people shows interest in the sport! If you got
            ice during the winter you can also use your trainer
            kite for iceskating!!

            /Jakob

            --- "Kitepower (Sydney)" <sydney@...>
            skrev:

            ---------------------------------
[...]

            to the most frequently asked questions.

            To unsubscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
            To subscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294c4e7c/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=gr

            oups/S=1705100963:HM/EXP=1104441573/A=2455396/R=0/SIG=119u9qmi7/*http://smal
            lbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
            :HM/A=2455396/rand=234712487>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
            to:

            * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
            Yahoo! Terms of Service
            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            Methodist. Leading Medicine. ***CONFIDENTIALITY
            NOTICE*** This e-mail
            is the property of The Methodist Hospital and/or its
            relevant affiliates
            and may contain confidential and privileged material
            for the sole use of
            the intended recipient(s). Any review, use,
            distribution or disclosure by
            others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
            intended recipient (or
            authorized to receive for the recipient), please
            contact the sender and
            delete all copies of the message. Thank you.

            removed]

            answers
            to the most frequently asked questions.

            To unsubscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
            To subscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

            c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
            Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            answers
            to the most frequently asked questions.

            To unsubscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
            To subscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Terms of Service.
          • kitesurfr
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 31, 2004
              Brian & Kimberly,

              I would also like to add the value of getting a trainer kite slightly
              larger, 3.6 sq. meters and being able to have a snow kite as well as
              a really nice fun trainer kite. 3.5 sq. meters will have more
              feedback(pull) and be perfect for doing training exercises. Most
              people have the mind set that a trainer kite is simply to teach you
              to fly the kite, but it has much more value than this.. You can do
              simulated riding exercises and simulated water start exercises on
              land with the kite to learn the dynamics of changing the power
              strokes of the kite and much more!!

              I highly suggest the Ballistic 3.6 quad line kite:
              http://www.4kiteboarding.com/trainkitpac.html There are also
              exercises on this page to practice with the trainer kite. In
              Michigan, I am assuming you have a great snow season and can use this
              kite for Snow Kiting in the winter!!

              You should get two kiteboarding kites as you will never be competing
              for the same kite size. Your 12.0 kite will become his high wind
              kite when you are overpowered, etc.

              Chris M. Moore
              Kitty Hawk Kites Kiteboarding Centers
              PASA examiner
              252-207-1639
              chris@...

              > Hi There
              > My husband and I are considering taking up this exciting newer
              sport,
              > but we have a few questions. First of all we live in Michigan on a
              > decent sized inland lake. Both of us have experience w/
              wakeboarding.
              > Here are my questions...
              > 1. Can we share a kite? There is about a 70lb differnce in weight
              and
              > 6" difference in height between the 2 of us. We were told to get a
              > 12m kite for me and a 14m kite for him- can we just get a 14m kite
              > and I can use it at a shorter line length?
              > 2. He has experience flying double handled kites, and is pretty
              good
              > at it. I have never flown a kite before. Is it totally necessary to
              > buy a trainer kite? If so, will we ever use it again after learning
              > the art of being out on the water w/ the real equipment?
              > 3. We live in Michigan and are going to be traveling to South
              Padre,
              > Texas in February where we are planning on trying the sport for the
              > first time. We want to take lessons- any suggestions on good but
              > affordable instructors or schools down there?
              >
              > Thanks so much!
            • ex_cpe
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
                --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Brian and Kimberly" <excelwithbrandkb@y...>
                wrote:

                > Hi There
                > My husband and I are considering taking up this exciting newer sport,
                > but we have a few questions. First of all we live in Michigan on a
                > decent sized inland lake. Both of us have experience w/ wakeboarding.
                > Here are my questions...
                > 1. Can we share a kite? There is about a 70lb differnce in weight and
                > 6" difference in height between the 2 of us. We were told to get a
                > 12m kite for me and a 14m kite for him- can we just get a 14m kite
                > and I can use it at a shorter line length?
                > 2. He has experience flying double handled kites, and is pretty good
                > at it. I have never flown a kite before. Is it totally necessary to
                > buy a trainer kite? If so, will we ever use it again after learning
                > the art of being out on the water w/ the real equipment?
                > 3. We live in Michigan and are going to be traveling to South Padre,
                > Texas in February where we are planning on trying the sport for the
                > first time. We want to take lessons- any suggestions on good but
                > affordable instructors or schools down there?
                >
                > Thanks so much!

                .........counterpoint to the instructors who basically only see people learning to walk the
                first time - when this is a running sport, and people who will fiddle their time away with
                little kites 'on the beach' (which happens to be THE single most dangerous place for us)
                I'd say; do not buy anything beyond a teeny little 2-line kite that you can give to some kid
                to play with later. Small kites, outside snow and landboards, are generally useless to most
                mortals.

                Focus completely on your trip to Padre...don't get sucked into those multi-kite 'deals'
                beforehand...and don't learn bad habits, like many of us did, in the backyard. There's
                plenty of good resources down there - one I'd look into is Jeff Howard. He's the ponytailed
                guy on the Boost instruction videos and probably one of the more honest guys in the
                trade. Google him to find the name of his shop. You'd also have a good instruction in any
                of a number of spots in Hatteras, but not in Feb - it's too frickin cold.

                Have fun - safely.

                Jim