How depowered is depowered?

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2004
      After having read Laurence's accident a few days ago, I started to
      ponder why Laurence got in to such accident even thought his kite was
      depowered on a leash (as according to some sources).

      I was stucked in a winter storm a few years ago in 80 - 100 km/hr wind
      (you can see a white wall moving toward you) and depowered my 6m foil
      just before the storm hit. Even so, I was dragged slowly by the kite
      downwind. I was fully detached from the kite but hang on to the leash
      line as I did not want to loose my kite and may create problems for
      other people. I was still in that "fighting with the kite position"
      until another kiter came and folded the kite for me.

      So a depowered kite still has tons of power and apparently has killed
      Laurence.

      For your own safety, make sure that you have a quick release system that
      can release yourself from the kite completely.

      Of course, it's best to fold your kite or use a much smaller kite before
      the storm hit...