Re: Fatal kitesnowboarding accident in Canada

  • flkitesurfer
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 21, 2004
      It is sad news indeed. My sincere regrets go out to the man's family
      and friends.

      It would appear that the man was caught in an unusually strong wind
      gust (reportedly 18 gusting to 68 mph in less than a minute) near the
      leading edge of a cold front. This was an extreme, unexpected severe
      weather event. I wonder what the susceptability of snow kiteboarders
      is like to lessor gusts? What constitutes "excessively gusty" winds
      for snow kiteboarders?

      I am not certain where snow kiteboarding is at the current time with
      regard to weather planning and monitoring. Such preparations and
      monitoring have been promoted in water kiteboarding for years as a
      result of early accidents. Even with that an unacceptably high
      percentage of kiteboarders are still not sufficiently sensitive to
      this serious hazard. Excessive gusts figured in 4 of the 5 recent
      water kiteboarding fatalities. Some people have little concern over
      riding in squalls. I wonder if the same complacence is evident in
      snow kiteboarders?

      Can anyone comment on what orientation new snow kiteboarders are given
      to weather considerations? What do you look out for in weather
      planning and monitoring for a snow kiteboarding session?

      Thanks,

      FKA, Inc.

      transcribed by:
      Rick Iossi

      http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=808471ef-e988-4747-b96b-c3604c446123

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2004
        If a kiter got properly trained using the KTM method than whether the
        kiter kites on snow and water, the kiter should have the same safety
        knowledge and skill to avoid accidents.

        This is a very freaky accident as according to some source, Laurence has
        already depowered the kite...

        Hung.

        flkitesurfer wrote:

        >It is sad news indeed. My sincere regrets go out to the man's family
        >and friends.
        >
        >It would appear that the man was caught in an unusually strong wind
        >gust (reportedly 18 gusting to 68 mph in less than a minute) near the
        >leading edge of a cold front. This was an extreme, unexpected severe
        >weather event. I wonder what the susceptability of snow kiteboarders
        >is like to lessor gusts? What constitutes "excessively gusty" winds
        >for snow kiteboarders?
        >
        >I am not certain where snow kiteboarding is at the current time with
        >regard to weather planning and monitoring. Such preparations and
        >monitoring have been promoted in water kiteboarding for years as a
        >result of early accidents. Even with that an unacceptably high
        >percentage of kiteboarders are still not sufficiently sensitive to
        >this serious hazard. Excessive gusts figured in 4 of the 5 recent
        >water kiteboarding fatalities. Some people have little concern over
        >riding in squalls. I wonder if the same complacence is evident in
        >snow kiteboarders?
        >
        >Can anyone comment on what orientation new snow kiteboarders are given
        >to weather considerations? What do you look out for in weather
        >planning and monitoring for a snow kiteboarding session?
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >FKA, Inc.
        >
        >transcribed by:
        >Rick Iossi
        >

        >--- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
        > >
        >http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=808471ef-e988-4747-b96b-c3604c446123
        > >
        > > My condolence to the kiter.
        > >
        > > Hung.

        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        >click here
        ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129hff23e/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=1705100963:HM/EXP=1103779401/A=2455396/R=0/SIG=119u9qmi7/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

      • Bill Torreyson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 27, 2004
          What is the KTM method?

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2005
            KTM is the first formal Kite Teaching Methodology for most disciplines
            of kiting: kitesurfing, kitesnowboarding, kiteskiing and
            kitelandboarding (kiteboating will be included soon). KTM will include
            all types of kites instead of focusing on a particular type (such as
            LEI) as in other methodologies.

            KTM has been developed, applied in real-world teaching and improved in
            the last few years.

            KTM is intended to be "open source" which can be used and improved by
            all schools and experience kiters in the world.

            KTM will be formally released in the next update to the Kitesurfing
            School web site.

            Hung.