Fatal kitesnowboarding accident in Canada

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2004
    • flkitesurfer
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 21, 2004
        It is sad news indeed. My sincere regrets go out to the man's family
        and friends.

        It would appear that the man was caught in an unusually strong wind
        gust (reportedly 18 gusting to 68 mph in less than a minute) near the
        leading edge of a cold front. This was an extreme, unexpected severe
        weather event. I wonder what the susceptability of snow kiteboarders
        is like to lessor gusts? What constitutes "excessively gusty" winds
        for snow kiteboarders?

        I am not certain where snow kiteboarding is at the current time with
        regard to weather planning and monitoring. Such preparations and
        monitoring have been promoted in water kiteboarding for years as a
        result of early accidents. Even with that an unacceptably high
        percentage of kiteboarders are still not sufficiently sensitive to
        this serious hazard. Excessive gusts figured in 4 of the 5 recent
        water kiteboarding fatalities. Some people have little concern over
        riding in squalls. I wonder if the same complacence is evident in
        snow kiteboarders?

        Can anyone comment on what orientation new snow kiteboarders are given
        to weather considerations? What do you look out for in weather
        planning and monitoring for a snow kiteboarding session?

        Thanks,

        FKA, Inc.

        transcribed by:
        Rick Iossi

        http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=808471ef-e988-4747-b96b-c3604c446123

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2004
          If a kiter got properly trained using the KTM method than whether the
          kiter kites on snow and water, the kiter should have the same safety
          knowledge and skill to avoid accidents.

          This is a very freaky accident as according to some source, Laurence has
          already depowered the kite...

          Hung.

          flkitesurfer wrote:

          >It is sad news indeed. My sincere regrets go out to the man's family
          >and friends.
          >
          >It would appear that the man was caught in an unusually strong wind
          >gust (reportedly 18 gusting to 68 mph in less than a minute) near the
          >leading edge of a cold front. This was an extreme, unexpected severe
          >weather event. I wonder what the susceptability of snow kiteboarders
          >is like to lessor gusts? What constitutes "excessively gusty" winds
          >for snow kiteboarders?
          >
          >I am not certain where snow kiteboarding is at the current time with
          >regard to weather planning and monitoring. Such preparations and
          >monitoring have been promoted in water kiteboarding for years as a
          >result of early accidents. Even with that an unacceptably high
          >percentage of kiteboarders are still not sufficiently sensitive to
          >this serious hazard. Excessive gusts figured in 4 of the 5 recent
          >water kiteboarding fatalities. Some people have little concern over
          >riding in squalls. I wonder if the same complacence is evident in
          >snow kiteboarders?
          >
          >Can anyone comment on what orientation new snow kiteboarders are given
          >to weather considerations? What do you look out for in weather
          >planning and monitoring for a snow kiteboarding session?
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >FKA, Inc.
          >
          >transcribed by:
          >Rick Iossi
          >

          >--- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
          > >
          >http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=808471ef-e988-4747-b96b-c3604c446123
          > >
          > > My condolence to the kiter.
          > >
          > > Hung.

          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          >click here
          ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129hff23e/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=1705100963:HM/EXP=1103779401/A=2455396/R=0/SIG=119u9qmi7/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/>

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        • Bill Torreyson
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 27, 2004
            What is the KTM method?

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2005
              KTM is the first formal Kite Teaching Methodology for most disciplines
              of kiting: kitesurfing, kitesnowboarding, kiteskiing and
              kitelandboarding (kiteboating will be included soon). KTM will include
              all types of kites instead of focusing on a particular type (such as
              LEI) as in other methodologies.

              KTM has been developed, applied in real-world teaching and improved in
              the last few years.

              KTM is intended to be "open source" which can be used and improved by
              all schools and experience kiters in the world.

              KTM will be formally released in the next update to the Kitesurfing
              School web site.

              Hung.