Re: Shorter lines for stronger wind.

  • russt4
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2004
      Hi Hung, I've been thinking about different length lines and reel
      bars and suchlike. Got a few questions:

      1) I can imagine two reasons why longer lines might give more power.
      First is that the wind is typically stronger as you gain in
      altitude. Looking over various sites that give information on this,
      though, it seems that the difference in wind speed is pretty minor,
      maybe only 10% from 30m to 50m lines. Another possible reason could
      be that the increased length allows a larger amplitude sining of the
      kite before you have to turn it around. This allows more speed of
      the kite and hence more power. Any ideas on which of these reasons
      is more important? Or are there others that I'm overlooking?

      2) Can't seem to find any manufacturers of reel bars for kitesurfing
      anymore. Does anybody know of any? Why have they all gone out of
      business?

      Cheers, and thanks for the great kitesurfschool.org site!
      -Russ

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
      > The water is very cold now and I was surpirse to see a few kiters
      out at
      > Britannia around 3:00PM today.
      >
      > By the time I got my equipment to the beach around 4 something, the
      wind
      > picked up to pretty strong.
      >
      > I rigged a 5.0, launched it and was overpowered, not that
      overpowered
      > but since I was a bit out-of-shape, I decided to drop it to use
      shorter
      > lines.
      >
      > So I rerigged the kite with 20m lines and was pretty comfortable
      with
      > the condition (average 30 to 35 knots and gust 40 to 45 knots) and
      ride
      > until dark.
      >
      > I suspect the drop from 25m to 20m lines more or less make my 5.0
      acts
      > like a 4.0
      >
      > P.S., Normally I don't kitesurf after Haloween so this is an
      exception
      > for me.
      >
      > Hung.
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2004
        It's more the larger wind window and maybe faster reception and
        reaction time.

        There were some reel bar on the market; however, the cimplicity of the
        normal bar seems to win the battle.

        Hung.