Shorter lines for stronger wind.

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2004
      The water is very cold now and I was surpirse to see a few kiters out at
      Britannia around 3:00PM today.

      By the time I got my equipment to the beach around 4 something, the wind
      picked up to pretty strong.

      I rigged a 5.0, launched it and was overpowered, not that overpowered
      but since I was a bit out-of-shape, I decided to drop it to use shorter
      lines.

      So I rerigged the kite with 20m lines and was pretty comfortable with
      the condition (average 30 to 35 knots and gust 40 to 45 knots) and ride
      until dark.

      I suspect the drop from 25m to 20m lines more or less make my 5.0 acts
      like a 4.0

      P.S., Normally I don't kitesurf after Haloween so this is an exception
      for me.

      Hung.
    • russt4
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2004
        Hi Hung, I've been thinking about different length lines and reel
        bars and suchlike. Got a few questions:

        1) I can imagine two reasons why longer lines might give more power.
        First is that the wind is typically stronger as you gain in
        altitude. Looking over various sites that give information on this,
        though, it seems that the difference in wind speed is pretty minor,
        maybe only 10% from 30m to 50m lines. Another possible reason could
        be that the increased length allows a larger amplitude sining of the
        kite before you have to turn it around. This allows more speed of
        the kite and hence more power. Any ideas on which of these reasons
        is more important? Or are there others that I'm overlooking?

        2) Can't seem to find any manufacturers of reel bars for kitesurfing
        anymore. Does anybody know of any? Why have they all gone out of
        business?

        Cheers, and thanks for the great kitesurfschool.org site!
        -Russ

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
        > The water is very cold now and I was surpirse to see a few kiters
        out at
        > Britannia around 3:00PM today.
        >
        > By the time I got my equipment to the beach around 4 something, the
        wind
        > picked up to pretty strong.
        >
        > I rigged a 5.0, launched it and was overpowered, not that
        overpowered
        > but since I was a bit out-of-shape, I decided to drop it to use
        shorter
        > lines.
        >
        > So I rerigged the kite with 20m lines and was pretty comfortable
        with
        > the condition (average 30 to 35 knots and gust 40 to 45 knots) and
        ride
        > until dark.
        >
        > I suspect the drop from 25m to 20m lines more or less make my 5.0
        acts
        > like a 4.0
        >
        > P.S., Normally I don't kitesurf after Haloween so this is an
        exception
        > for me.
        >
        > Hung.
      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 10, 2004
          It's more the larger wind window and maybe faster reception and
          reaction time.

          There were some reel bar on the market; however, the cimplicity of the
          normal bar seems to win the battle.

          Hung.