What wetsuit for what water temperature?

  • Niki D.
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
      I just started this summer in Houston and until now I did not need a
      wetsuit, because the water temperature was around 80F just a week
      ago. With the "cold" front it is dropping now to 65F and maybe
      lower... I was wondering if those of you who have had experience
      with wetsuits can share what is a comfortable suit - meaning the
      lightest and least constricting possible for different temperature
      ranges?
    • Sax, Steve, M.D.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
        Niki,

        I live in Houston too, and here's my concept:
        Water temp 70-80....shorty
        Water temp below 70....either a 4/3 wetsuit or an Ocean Rodeo dry suit; the
        benefit of the dry suit is it's not constricting at all (except at the
        ankles and wrists and neck), there's no shock of cold when entering the
        water, and it's comfortable enough to wear on my drive to Texas City. It is
        more expensive (about double a good wetsuit). Charley at windsurfing sports
        has both and you can talk with him about concepts (281-299-9199); tell him
        Dr. Steve sent you. Have fun on the water!!

        I just started this summer in Houston and until now I did not need a
        wetsuit, because the water temperature was around 80F just a week
        ago. With the "cold" front it is dropping now to 65F and maybe
        lower... I was wondering if those of you who have had experience
        with wetsuits can share what is a comfortable suit - meaning the
        lightest and least constricting possible for different temperature
        ranges?

        http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm
        <http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm> for the answers

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129p93u1f/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705100963:HM/EXP=1099751744/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ih8jk7g/*http://clk.
        atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099665344727250>
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129p93u1f/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705100963:HM/EXP=1099751744/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ih8jk7g/*http://clk.
        atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099665344727250>

        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada

        <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10996653
        44727250>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=
        :HM/A=2343726/rand=496017352>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        _________ ****CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE**** This e-mail is the property of
        The Methodist Hospital and/or its relevant affiliates and may contain
        confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
        recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is
        strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(or authorized to
        receive for the recipient), please contact the sender and delete all copies
        of the message. Thank you.

      • George Sarris
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
          And don't forget the neoprene gloves and booties.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Niki D.
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 15, 2004
            Thanks for the advise guys,
            I need to look for a 4/3 full suit. I went out on Friday in a spring
            suit and did OK in the water, although it wasn't exactly enjoyable at
            60F.
            Steve, what kind of doctor are you? I am still looking for a good
            family/internal medicine practitioner.
            Nick

            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Sax, Steve, M.D." <ssax@t...>
            wrote:
            > Niki,
            >
            > I live in Houston too, and here's my concept:
            > Water temp 70-80....shorty
            > Water temp below 70....either a 4/3 wetsuit or an Ocean Rodeo dry
            suit; the
            > benefit of the dry suit is it's not constricting at all (except at
            the
            > ankles and wrists and neck), there's no shock of cold when entering
            the
            > water, and it's comfortable enough to wear on my drive to Texas
            City. It is
            > more expensive (about double a good wetsuit). Charley at
            windsurfing sports
            > has both and you can talk with him about concepts (281-299-9199);
            tell him
            > Dr. Steve sent you. Have fun on the water!!

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            Service