Re: [ksurfschool] Digest Number 1163

  • Kevin Corr
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2004
      That makes sense...the stiffness goes down the resonance frequency drops into the range of probably excitation forces from trailing edges flapping back and forth. Just a real hazard. Design a way to reinflate. co2 cartridges?

      ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Re: Leaky strut bladders - stability or safety?
      From: George Sarris

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:49:53 -0700 (PDT)
      From: George Sarris
      Subject: Re: Re: Leaky strut bladders - stability or safety?

      Thanks Chris. I did not realize jelly fishing was due
      to partially deflated bladders. I had some
      jellyfishing in some light winds, but come to think of
      it that was prior to replacing the leading edge
      bladder and it probably was partially deflated.

      Thanks again,
      George

      --- Chris Glazier wrote:

      > --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris
      > wrote:
      > > ..My question is "Is there any problem with
      > > deflated struts?" I know one problem would be in
      > > water launching but are there any other things..
      >
      > It is amazing how well a kite can fly with
      > underinflated bladders in
      > light or moderate wind. On more than one occasion my
      > strut or my
      > leading edge has lost all air and I was still able
      > to kite back to
      > shore.
      >
      > But as soon as the wind gets strong you will be in
      > real trouble.
      > Even a single underinflated strut can cause wild
      > jelly fishing
      > action (throbbing like a beating heart) of the whole
      > kite. The first
      > time this happened to me I couldn't figure out why
      > my kite was going
      > crazy.
      >
      > In extremely overpowering condtions your whole kite
      > will jellyfish
      > (undulate) uncontrollably when the wind force
      > overcomes the leading
      > edge air pressure that is supposed to hold the kite
      > shape. The
      > firmer your leading edge, the more extreme wind you
      > can survive.
      >
      > :-)
      > Chris Glazier

      http://vote.yahoo.com