Re: Leaky strut bladders - stability or safety?

  • Chris Glazier
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 14, 2004
      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris
      <jakefarley2000@y...> wrote:
      > ..My question is "Is there any problem with
      > deflated struts?" I know one problem would be in
      > water launching but are there any other things..

      It is amazing how well a kite can fly with underinflated bladders in
      light or moderate wind. On more than one occasion my strut or my
      leading edge has lost all air and I was still able to kite back to
      shore.

      But as soon as the wind gets strong you will be in real trouble.
      Even a single underinflated strut can cause wild jelly fishing
      action (throbbing like a beating heart) of the whole kite. The first
      time this happened to me I couldn't figure out why my kite was going
      crazy.

      In extremely overpowering condtions your whole kite will jellyfish
      (undulate) uncontrollably when the wind force overcomes the leading
      edge air pressure that is supposed to hold the kite shape. The
      firmer your leading edge, the more extreme wind you can survive.

      :-)
      Chris Glazier
    • George Sarris
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2004
        Thanks Chris. I did not realize jelly fishing was due
        to partially deflated bladders. I had some
        jellyfishing in some light winds, but come to think of
        it that was prior to replacing the leading edge
        bladder and it probably was partially deflated.

        Thanks again,
        George

        http://vote.yahoo.com