Leaky strut bladders - stability or safety?

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 14, 2004
      I had a nice 2 hour session yesterday and upon landing
      I noticed that three of my strut bladders were
      significantly deflated (they were not firm enough to
      stand up when I inverted the kite with the leading
      edge down). I did not notice any handling problems
      other than from the somewhat gusty, shifting wind
      conditions. The kite is an old 2001 21.5m Cabrinha BT
      that has served me well and I have replacement
      bladders. My question is "Is there any problem with
      deflated struts?" I know one problem would be in
      water launching but are there any other things to
      worry about? Could the stability of the kite be an
      issue? Any feedback would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      George

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Chris Glazier
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2004
        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris
        <jakefarley2000@y...> wrote:
        > ..My question is "Is there any problem with
        > deflated struts?" I know one problem would be in
        > water launching but are there any other things..

        It is amazing how well a kite can fly with underinflated bladders in
        light or moderate wind. On more than one occasion my strut or my
        leading edge has lost all air and I was still able to kite back to
        shore.

        But as soon as the wind gets strong you will be in real trouble.
        Even a single underinflated strut can cause wild jelly fishing
        action (throbbing like a beating heart) of the whole kite. The first
        time this happened to me I couldn't figure out why my kite was going
        crazy.

        In extremely overpowering condtions your whole kite will jellyfish
        (undulate) uncontrollably when the wind force overcomes the leading
        edge air pressure that is supposed to hold the kite shape. The
        firmer your leading edge, the more extreme wind you can survive.

        :-)
        Chris Glazier
      • George Sarris
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 15, 2004
          Thanks Chris. I did not realize jelly fishing was due
          to partially deflated bladders. I had some
          jellyfishing in some light winds, but come to think of
          it that was prior to replacing the leading edge
          bladder and it probably was partially deflated.

          Thanks again,
          George

          http://vote.yahoo.com