Body drag or board when learning?

  • David Alger
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2004
      I too flew trainers for hours and "trained" myself bodydragging for
      days. Then in front of all my friends I took my 12 meter (I'm 150
      lbs) out in 18-24 knot winds and it looped continuously and dragged
      me at speed for a mile by my wrist strap. Luckily my board leash
      broke immediately. The kicker was my depower safety did not
      release. I figured if the kite pulled me under I was a gonner, so I
      let it go. Kiters do take risks windsurfers don't even dream about.
      I still go out in perfect conditions, but with only moderate, non-
      gusty offshore winds in bays with nice barrier beaches all around,
      with no traffic or objects of any kind. I may live to learn to stay
      up, but not yet. David