Re: [ksurfschool] Body drag or board when learning?

  • jakob Thegerström
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2004
      Hi!

      Just one more advice on the 8 and 20m kites :)
      If you want to enlarge your windrange you should
      instead get a larger / or smaller board. It'll be
      cheaper / safer and will also give you better result!
      Also if you're learning you should have a large board,
      it'll be easier...

      /J

      --- johnmitch1980 <johnmitch1980@...> skrev:

      ---------------------------------

      First, I'd like to say thanks to the people for their
      previous advice
      concerning 8m and 20m kite purchases.

      Now, I've got another question. I took a number of
      lessons this
      summer from a very good kiteboard instructor, who gave
      me lots of
      good pointers. However, we only did about 1/2 an hour
      of body
      dragging, and I only attempted to get up on the board
      once or twice
      with him. (Winds were a limiting factor during our
      lessons).

      I went to the beach the other day in 20mph winds with
      my 12m kite
      (it's the smallest I have), and promptly got yanked
      about 50ft in the
      air off the beach. It scared the living hell out me,
      and I can't
      help but wonder what happened to all of those hours I
      spent training
      with my 1m kite. So I guess my question is this:
      should I spend more
      time just body dragging up and down the beach, or
      should I take my
      board out there with me?

      Also, is there a certain etiquette I should be
      following? (What I
      mean is, I don't want to ruin the beach for all the
      other
      kiteboarders by getting myself hurt and then having
      the local
      authorities crack down on kiteboarders).

      John

      answers
      to the most frequently asked questions.

      To unsubscribe, please send an email to
      ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
      To subscribe, please send an email to
      ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Terms of Service.
    • David Alger
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2004
        I too flew trainers for hours and "trained" myself bodydragging for
        days. Then in front of all my friends I took my 12 meter (I'm 150
        lbs) out in 18-24 knot winds and it looped continuously and dragged
        me at speed for a mile by my wrist strap. Luckily my board leash
        broke immediately. The kicker was my depower safety did not
        release. I figured if the kite pulled me under I was a gonner, so I
        let it go. Kiters do take risks windsurfers don't even dream about.
        I still go out in perfect conditions, but with only moderate, non-
        gusty offshore winds in bays with nice barrier beaches all around,
        with no traffic or objects of any kind. I may live to learn to stay
        up, but not yet. David