Re: Body drag or board when learning?

  • ex_cpe
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2004

      > I went to the beach the other day in 20mph winds with my 12m kite
      > (it's the smallest I have), and promptly got yanked about 50ft in the
      > air off the beach. It scared the living hell out me, and I can't
      > help but wonder what happened to all of those hours I spent training
      > with my 1m kite. So I guess my question is this: should I spend more
      > time just body dragging up and down the beach, or should I take my
      > board out there with me?

      ...........neither. FIRST: call your dealer and ask him what the total range for this kite and
      your weight is. SECOND: divide by two, and do not - without an instructor - go out in
      winds above the middle of your kite's range....board or no board. THIRD: get off land as
      fast as you can. It's the most dangerous place for other's and ourselves..

      Hell, bodydragging is like riding a 50cc moped while other's are on Ninja's, but you either
      learn to tame the kite - or you get hurt.

      > Also, is there a certain etiquette I should be following? (What I
      > mean is, I don't want to ruin the beach for all the other
      > kiteboarders by getting myself hurt and then having the local
      > authorities crack down on kiteboarders).

      ............either make friends with the alpha male, or move far out of the way.

      ...you'll make friends faster if: A) you don't endanger them ....B) civilains ....or Z) yourself.
      Understand; If you get scared off or tree your kites - there's more launch space for them.

      "Persistant Common Sense" is a quality you need to nourish - after decent lessons.

      Nowwww - go play.

      Jim
    • jakob Thegerström
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2004
        Hi!

        Just one more advice on the 8 and 20m kites :)
        If you want to enlarge your windrange you should
        instead get a larger / or smaller board. It'll be
        cheaper / safer and will also give you better result!
        Also if you're learning you should have a large board,
        it'll be easier...

        /J

        --- johnmitch1980 <johnmitch1980@...> skrev:

        ---------------------------------

        First, I'd like to say thanks to the people for their
        previous advice
        concerning 8m and 20m kite purchases.

        Now, I've got another question. I took a number of
        lessons this
        summer from a very good kiteboard instructor, who gave
        me lots of
        good pointers. However, we only did about 1/2 an hour
        of body
        dragging, and I only attempted to get up on the board
        once or twice
        with him. (Winds were a limiting factor during our
        lessons).

        I went to the beach the other day in 20mph winds with
        my 12m kite
        (it's the smallest I have), and promptly got yanked
        about 50ft in the
        air off the beach. It scared the living hell out me,
        and I can't
        help but wonder what happened to all of those hours I
        spent training
        with my 1m kite. So I guess my question is this:
        should I spend more
        time just body dragging up and down the beach, or
        should I take my
        board out there with me?

        Also, is there a certain etiquette I should be
        following? (What I
        mean is, I don't want to ruin the beach for all the
        other
        kiteboarders by getting myself hurt and then having
        the local
        authorities crack down on kiteboarders).

        John

        answers
        to the most frequently asked questions.

        To unsubscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
        To subscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

        Terms of Service.
      • David Alger
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2004
          I too flew trainers for hours and "trained" myself bodydragging for
          days. Then in front of all my friends I took my 12 meter (I'm 150
          lbs) out in 18-24 knot winds and it looped continuously and dragged
          me at speed for a mile by my wrist strap. Luckily my board leash
          broke immediately. The kicker was my depower safety did not
          release. I figured if the kite pulled me under I was a gonner, so I
          let it go. Kiters do take risks windsurfers don't even dream about.
          I still go out in perfect conditions, but with only moderate, non-
          gusty offshore winds in bays with nice barrier beaches all around,
          with no traffic or objects of any kind. I may live to learn to stay
          up, but not yet. David